Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Shelters Guinea pig with rabbit

Squint96

Cavy Slave
I was just looking at guinea pig on petfinder, and there was a pig who is with a rabbit in the pictures. It looked like it is caged with the rabbit. Should I say something to them? I don't know what I would say.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
I would, just let them know of the dangers of rabbits with guinea pigs. Direct them to here if need be.

Last edited:

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
You could forward information to them regarding keeping rabbits and pigs together.

I have found that lots of rabbit rescue people say it's fine to keep them together. It is frustrating. I've taken in a few pigs with chewed off ears from living with bunnies.

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Send them the information and then report or flaq ad.

charliespet

Cavy Slave
You should be careful and kind in how you respond with your concern, Mostly ppl aren't out to hurt animals and really love them and may not even know at all. If it were me and I was truly concerned I would just ask them how they behave together and compliment them on their love for their pets, and possibly mention that you heard that rabbits can sometimes be a bit rough if left alone with a Cavy. Maybe suggesting they try and seperate them at least in different sleeping areas and allow them together only when they are present and watching. Some ppl are really sesitive to being told what to do, or treated like they are "bad" or wrong. So I would just be kind and maybe private message them. I'd encourage you to just be positive publically.

miss_melmel

Cavy Slave
i seem them housed withh bunnies all the time at pet stored im pretty sure was housed with a bunny coz he has parts of his ear missing

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Your post is a bit confusing. Is this what you meant?--

I have seen them housed with bunnies all the time at the pet store. I'm pretty sure (?) was housed with a bunny because he has parts of his ear missing.

Be aware that overcrowding with guinea pigs also results in ears being chewed. Fighting between pigs can also result in ripped ears.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I would also kindly tell them of the dangers, but try not to come off too strong. You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

My Penny was housed with a rabbit for a bit before I rescued her. Thank goodness she's in good health.

pinky

Cavy Slave
You could forward information to them regarding keeping rabbits and pigs together.

I have found that lots of rabbit rescue people say it's fine to keep them together. It is frustrating. I've taken in a few pigs with chewed off ears from living with bunnies.

Aggressive guinea pigs will even bite off the ears of other guinea pigs. I did a pick up of 14 guinea pigs at a local animal control years ago and the staff separated the guinea pigs by sex into boxes. One contained two females and pup. By the time I reached my destination, the unrelated female had bit off the ears off the pup. The pup survived and was fine but I realized how vulnerable their ears are. I'm sure everyone on here has seen guinea pigs with parts of their ears chewed. I'd be more concerned about the rabbit spreading fatal bacterial infections to the guinea pig or killing it with a kick.

Squint96

Cavy Slave
Here's what I was thinking of saying:

Hi,
I came across your petfinder ad for ___ and saw that he is being kept with a rabbit. While I am not able to adopt____ I was concerned with his placement. I don't mean to criticize your shelter in any way, but as a guinea pig owner and lover, I have learned that housing guinea pigs and rabbits is unsafe for either animal, no matter how happy they seem together. Rabbits can accidently kick a guinea pig resulting in serious injury or death, as well as pass diseases to them that guinea pigs should not be in contact with. Also, rabbits have been known to bite off, or parts of, guinea pig ears, and vice versa. Lastly, guinea pigs should not eat rabbit food, and rabbits can also prevent the guinea pig from eating. I thank you for taking in these animals, and hope that this information is useful to you. Please move that guinea pig into a separate cage from the rabbit, and don't let them play together. As I already said, I'm not trying to criticize, or come across as rude, I just wanted to relay some important information to you.
You can find more information about guinea pig at Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home.
Thank you for all you do for these animals,
-Name

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Rabbits can accidently kick a guinea pig resulting in serious injury or death, as well as expose them to bacteria that guinea pigs should not be in contact with. Also, rabbits have been known to bite off, or bite parts off of guinea pig ears. Lastly, guinea pigs should not eat rabbit food, and rabbits can also prevent the guinea pig from eating. I thank you for taking in these animals, and hope that this information is useful to you. Please move the guinea pig into a separate cage from the rabbit, and don't let them play together.

I highlited changes in blue that I think make it sound better. It looks good! Thnaks for taking the time to try to help these animals.

I also wanted to let everyone know that in BOOKS that people can buy to learn about guinea pigs and bunny care, it says you can house them together. It says that it's a good idea, since they eat basically the same diet. STUPID BOOKS! I am grateful all the time for having found this website, because I thought I was doing the right thing, buying books to learn proper care, doing some research, etc. Almost EVERYTHING in those books were wrong-and these books set the standard of care for these animals for years. Scary, isn't it?

Squint96

Cavy Slave
Well, I just got an email back from the shelter- and they will be keeping the guinea pig and rabbit together. I'm not sure what else I can do... :(

Eimear

Cavy Slave
I dont think there is anything else you can do, well done for trying anyway :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
I couldn't find it. Can you attach a link?

Squint96

Cavy Slave
@pinky- Sorry, attach a link to what?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.