Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior New pups, need help!

Izzy05

Cavy Slave
My boyfriend gifted me his 2 adult guinea pigs because he could no longer care for them. He had them for a month and said the female looked bigger then when he got her. I felt her pelvis and i felt babies, sure enough like a month and a half later she gave birth (august 16th) to 3 pups. Unfortunately she realized one wasnt healthy and rejected it, it died 18 hours later:( Ive never had guinea pigs before and now i have 2 adults and 2 pups. One pup is extremely vocal but is running around and eating, the mother is feeding them but i just want to know if its normal for one pup to be quiet and the other very very vocal. I checked the well being of them and they are energetic and look to be very healthy. I cant deal with the death of another pup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CanadianPiggies

Cavy Slave
I'm no expert, and maybe some of the others here can provide better info. But guinea pigs are individuals with their own personalities, so it is possible one is quiet while one is outgoing.

I would also recommend you have the boar "fixed" or you will have more than you know what to do with.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, if the boar was in with the sow when she gave birth, she's already pregnant. They need to be separated permanently, or at least until he's been neutered and for four weeks afterward.

Izzy05

Cavy Slave
Actually, if the boar was in with the sow when she gave birth, she's already pregnant. They need to be separated permanently, or at least until he's been neutered and for four weeks afterward.

Im getting him neutered soon, but i am really hoping the babies are okay:) they are eating and sprinting around so i think they will be okay, do you have any tips or anything i should know about raising guinea pigs? Its my first time and im really nervous

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Make sure you not only separate the adult male and female, but you also remove any male pups at 21 days from any females (including mom).

Izzy05

Cavy Slave

Izzy05

Cavy Slave
Make sure you not only separate the adult male and female, but you also remove any male pups at 21 days from any females (including mom).

I did! Thank you so much for your help

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.