Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat Question about food

bng132

Cavy Gazer
I adopted a pig 3 weeks ago. She is about 6 months old. The day after I got her, she showed signs of a mild URI. The vet put her on Baytril. I feed her Oxbow pellets. Before the medicine she would the lick the bowl clean. After about 3 doses of Baytril, she stopped eating. The vet told me to stop the medicine (her URI symptoms were gone but I was still worried about stopping the medicine) and give her critical care. Its been 3 full days since her last does of medicine. She is eating hay and drinking water. She has no interest in her pellets. She has also been eating her bedding. I give her Oxbow vitamin C tablets and she used to eat the entire thing, now she only nibbles on it. Any suggestions? I would like her to eat her pellets again. I took her back to the vet and she said she is very healthy (teeth are fine, no bloating, weight was back up) and to keep offering pellets. She also doesn't eat any fruits or veggies besides lettuce. (I don't think her previous owners ever fed her any)

bng132

Cavy Gazer
Also, can I syringe feed her liquid vitamin c daily since shes not eating pellets?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes. Vita Drops makes a good Vitamin C. You might want to dilute it a little.

bng132

Cavy Gazer
Thank you! Any suggestions to get her interested in her pellets again?! I’ve tried switching brands but nothing. I’d rather stay with oxbow anyhow.

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
Thank you! Any suggestions to get her interested in her pellets again?! I?ve tried switching brands but nothing. I?d rather stay with oxbow anyhow.
Maybe put some veggies in with the pellets? Maybe she will eat the veggies and be like; hey these pellets are pretty good too! Just a thought

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.