Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? Breeds/Varieties

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'm curious, can you tell Danu's coloring from this photo? I've been told golden agouti.

I think your cutie would be classed as a chocolate agouti (a form of dilute agouti). Danu would have darker lips and ears if he was golden. Often ear, feet, and lip skin colour can give a clue as to what a piggy's actual colour is.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
@stray hares Let me see if I can fish out another photo, she has very dark feet and I feel like another one would clarify just because of lighting you know? You could be right. I was told that since her belly is golden she's considered golden

stray hares

Cavy Slave
Oops, sorry, I called your little one a he! It can be hard judging from one photo, though I am looking at those cute little pink lips with suspicion, heh.

NormaS

Cavy Slave
image.jpgHi, I know Nikolai is an American Shorthair but, what color is he. Thanks!

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
Here's 2 more...you can obviously tell who she is lol @stray hares

Attachments

483582_600647489963316_1198613171_n.jpg 547646_605326109495454_654242984_n.jpg

stray hares

Cavy Slave
Naw, cute. I would still vote chocolate agouti. The skin outlining her eye isn't black, and her friends look to me like broken golden agouti pigs, and their agouti patches just look "different". I'm guessing Danu's belly band would be chocolate, not gold.

There's an Australian list of breeds with photos (broken link removed), (heads up that it's a breeder's page, but it's the best list of breeds with pictures I could find) and if you scroll down to "Ticked Varieties" there's a bunch of photos of the different agouti colours. Try not to look at the satin agouti pigs too much, they look a bit different due to the crazy combination of satin fur and light, so they might not give the best idea of colour.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
@MizzyMiz I was just wondering if "ridgebacks" are considered Aby's? I have a new baby and she has 3 ridges but since you told me that ridgeback is actually not a breed, I'm not sure if she's aby. Thank you so much for your help! View attachment 48827View attachment 48828View attachment 48829

I'm very sorry to be digging up such an old thread, but I wanted to respond to everyone encase they're still intereted.

Well, at least in America they're not really referred to as a ridgeback, so she would be an Abby (they're really the same thing.) For her variety, she is a beautiful Silver Agouti :) Hope this is helpful!

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
I am curious about my new boy Ozzy and his odd mishmash of genetics. He has a long butt skirt that is difficult to take a picture of fully.View attachment 48840View attachment 48841

It's hard in this picture to tell if he has a crest (rosette) on his head, or if the fur just goes straight back. If he has a crest, he's probably a American/Coronet mix, but if it's smooth he's an American/Silkie mix. For the variety, he would be a golden agouti and white broken. Hope this is helpful, adorable pig :)

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
I'm curious, can you tell Danu's coloring from this photo? I've been told golden agouti.

I'm pretty sure Golden Agouti (black, with a red tip and belly.) but I'll leave it to your judgement, take a look at the ears and footpads. If they are dark, or black, it's Golden Agouti, if they are more pinkish, the color would be a Dilute Agouti (chocolate agouti, which is a type of dilute agouti.) But from what I see on the feet, I'd go with golden.

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
View attachment 48877Hi, I know Nikolai is an American Shorthair but, what color is he. Thanks!

He may actually be an American Satin, he's got a very unique sheen, it may just be the camera flash, but it looks pretty satin to me. For the color, it's a little hard to tell in the picture but I'd say either a Chocolate, red, and white broken, or a Beige, red and white broken. Hope it's helpful :), beautiful piggie

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
Here's 2 more...you can obviously tell who she is lol @stray hares

Looking at the second picture down, going from left to right, the first pig is a golden agouti, and white broken (if there is a patch of plain red anywhere, then it would be golden agouti, red, and white broken. The middle pig is a golden agouti (take a look at the foot pads, and ears, if they are pinkish, it may be a dilute agouti). And the last piggie is a golden agouti, red, and white broken. :) lovely group of pigs!

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
@MizzyMiz, could you tell me what color/variety Squeak is? I know that she is a Ridgeback or Abby mix, but I'm confused with her fur pattern!

Attachments

image.jpg

MizzyMiz

Cavy Slave
@MizzyMiz , could you tell me what color/variety Squeak is? I know that she is a Ridgeback or Abby mix, but I'm confused with her fur pattern!

She's actually not an Abby mix, but a Coronet. You can tell my the long fur, and the rosette on the head. For her variety, she's a Brindle. What a cute pig, hope I helped :)

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
I definitely need to post a better picture of Goliath on here tonight. He has VERY thick fur, and his butt is a little longer. I'm leaning towards an American-Silkie mix. I'll be posting later!

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
Thank you @MizzyMiz! I was confused as Squeak has a crest, but the only long fur she has is on her back, like a ridgeback (it sticks up usually). Would she still be a coronet?

Quince

Cavy Slave
I'm fairly certain that Ron's an American Shorthair, although not 100% sure on that. I'm wondering about his colouring. I'm guessing he'd be classed as brindle, but since I've had him, he's started getting small areas of white hair growing in, mainly around his head.

Relax.jpgWT.jpg

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
I know my breeds of my pigs, but can you tell me the colors? The black one is Flower, a white crested, the brownish one is Lulu, and the aby is LoopsieIMG_0347.jpgIMG_0362.jpgIMG_0364.jpgIMG_0446.jpgIMG_0488.jpgThanks in advance!

Brandi0509

Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry to be digging up such an old thread, but I wanted to respond to everyone encase they're still intereted.

Well, at least in America they're not really referred to as a ridgeback, so she would be an Abby (they're really the same thing.) For her variety, she is a beautiful Silver Agouti :) Hope this is helpful!

Thank you for the info!!! So you think she is a silver agouti? She's not as silver as most silver's I've seen but she's not as brown as most golden agoutis either so I really wasn't sure. Here is a more recent picture so you can see her coloring. 100_8363.jpg100_8378.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.