Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Orchard Grass Hay...They don't like it ....

soopermum62

Cavy Slave
After all the reading on the forums, I thought I'd better change up the type of Hay I bought for Flower and Daisy. (I usually get the mini bales of Timothy from Meijer) I always look for the greenest and best smelling bales that they have. I went to Petsmart yesterday, and bought them Orchard Grass Hay from Oxbow... They are not eating it. They are SLEEPING in it! :melodrama

They did this to me also when I got the free gift of small pet select with their C & C cage. They pulled it off to the side and slept in it! Now they will slurp up their oxbow pellets that I got them in a heartbeat!
They mow thru the "cheap" Timothy I give them and Sleep on the good stuff! OVEY!...

I guess They're the piggies, gotta love them.... and I will keep trying...

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Tigger didn't like the Oxbow brand hay either, she doesn't eat it. I bought it because it looked so green, but obviously she has something against it.

The Small Pet Select hay was a totally different story. She mowed through that sample bag in 20 minutes flat. lol

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Orchard grass from Oxbow wasn't well liked by my pigs, either. They do seem to like KMs bluegrass/orchard cross-breed weirdness. Pigs are picky sometimes!

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
My girls hated orchard grass hay, and I've been going through a hell of a time trying to find non-dusty/crappy timothy hay.

Out of the blue my girls suddenly started eating it again..I don't know why or what changed - but they now like it.

It's not the brand of hay, but the quality of hay. I'm finding (in Canada at least) the timothy hay is all just off right now. Really dusty and lots of dead bits of grass, the last bag I bought actually had a chunk of wood in it!

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
I have one pig that just does not like soft green hay. He always picks the roughest pieces out. He usually just gets 2nd timothy but I have a bag of sweet meadow's first cut that I hand feed him at lap time as a treat lol

soopermum62

Cavy Slave
I am allergic also--To alfalfa... I found this out when Flower was a baby, and when I brought Daisy in and she was under 6 months at the time, I bought alfalfa again. 2 months of itchy eyes and runny noses.
My Daughter Heather is so allergic that she could not sit in the kitchen or the living room within 15 feet of the piggy cage. I switched back to Timothy which still sparks the allergies, but not as bad. I would rather not have the allergy problem, which is part of the reason I was trying different/better quality/better for piggies types of hay. I cannot go to the feed stores or farms around here either, because it is all alfalfa.

How is Clover for piggies?

soopermum62

Cavy Slave
Never mind about the Clover, I found the ratios, and the fact it is a legume.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
@soopermum62 I've heard that people with grass allergies do really good with the bluegrass from KM's. I've heard piggies adore it too. I'd love to try her hays but its so much more expensive than buying local hay.

My piggies will NOT touch oxbow hay, any kind, since I started with the local hay. There is quite a bit of brown and stemmy pieces. I've found dehydrated crickets, sticks, thistle and such in my hay so I pick through it when I put it in their hay rack! They adore it tho... Must be because it is fresh or something?

soopermum62

Cavy Slave
@Onetwo I am beginning to think the same thing about the Meijer Hay I buy. Meijer is based in Grand Rapids, Mich. , and so is a local company. They get a lot of their "Meijer brand" products from top name or local suppliers. I won't hesitate to buy a package of their chicken or Turkey because I know the suppliers. I am not sure who manufactures/supplies their pet products. Like I said in my first post their Hay comes in Mini Bales. I always pick the greenest and best looking and smelling packages. I have yet to find any bugs or thistle or sticks in it. I agree with you about KM, I checked out their site, but Shipping to me is more than what it would be to ship to you.

momomiyamommy

Cavy Slave
@(broken link removed) Try Kaytee orchard grass my piggies love it. Some packages are greener than others but it is mostly green. I first gave my piggies Oxbow hay and they loathed it haha! It must be something about it that isn't good. They like their Oxbow pellets though!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
My girls used to love Oxbow orchard grass hay, and then they decided they hated it. That's not really uncommon with them; they recently did the same with grapes, which used to be one of their favorite treats. At the moment they're pile diving through cheapo Kaytee timothy hay after being pretty wishy washy on Oxbow timothy. Of course, that will probably all change tomorrow.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I personally will never buy Kaytee hay. Generally its first cut hay which is hard and stalky. 2nd cut hay tends to have some seed heads and less stalks and more blades of soft grass. Kleenmama's is the only one I know that has 3rd cut hay and from what I hear it is super soft like the wide bladed grass you walk through in the fields. The ones that are large and wide and fat are the best to get.

In the spring I give my piggies a little fresh grass everyday until I build up to just fresh grass and they LOVE it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.