Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C New Cage

AnimalLover55

Cavy Gazer
Hello!

My two piggies currently live in a 2x4 C&C. They are about to turn 3 years old and their coroplast is very chewed up (speaking of which, why do they chew this? They have lots of other things to chew....)

Anyway, the zip ties are also a little bit wobbly, and I just think it is best if they get a new cage.

I am looking for recommendations on the specifics.

Should I get any of the add ons on the GP cages website? 2nd stories, kitchens, patios....do the piggies actually care about these???

Should I go bigger? Of course bigger is always better but they are usually pretty sleepy and I'm just wondering if I would be better off spending money on more toys, etc than buying more grids and bigger coro.

Also-what are peoples recommendations on the best toys and hides that piggies like? Right now they have a crinkle tube, some of the edible hidey things, some snuggly things to cuddle up in and then a bunch of chew toys they never use. I want them to have fun with their toys....

I am ready for the full makeover on our piggy palace and I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
First of all, cavies rarely play with toys. Buying them is a waste of money for you and is the trap that many new piggy owners fall into. I rarely buy anything for the cage other than bottles and litter pans. I'm all about repurposing common household items such as cardboard hideys, small ceramic dishes, kiddie plates, plastic step stools, etc. which come from the bargain aisle at Target, a kitchen supply store, or Ocean State Job Lot.

Your cavies are likely "sleepy" because they simply don't have room to move around. Please.......spend the money on enlarging the cage to encourage them to get more exercise and have room to get away from each other.

People will tell you that a loft doesn't count insofar as space is concerned, but I beg to disagree based on experience. My boys get far more exercise from running up and down the ramp than they ever do running around the cage. I have two boars in a 2x5 with a 2x2 offset loft and the loft is like a penthouse apt. for them in that it also has a litter pan (with hay), bottle, pellet bowl and hidey. Space is uber important if you have males because they often need space just to get away from each other. Trust me......if I had the room I would build a larger cage.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Are your pigs males or females?

AnimalLover55

Cavy Gazer
Thank you!
Just to clarify, those types of cardboard hides and step stools are really what I meant as toys. Which ones are your favorites?

Secondly, I am all for as much space as possible for my pets. l was just wondering how well they would utilize the space. Thanks for the advice. How much bigger should I go? I would love to make them a loft. How about the other add-ons on the website? They are sows. Thank you!!!!

AnimalLover55

Cavy Gazer
They are females.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Just to clarify, those types of cardboard hides and step stools are really what I meant as toys. Which ones are your favorites?
How about the other add-ons on the website? They are sows.

It doesn't matter what I like, it's what the boys like and will use. They are mad for cardboard and will literally chew on a hidey until it falls apart. I can't leave one in the cage or they will munch on the cardboard until they are stuffed. If I want to provide some excitement, I'll put a raggedy one in the cage for 30 mins and let them go at it.

I can't comment on add-ons as I truly make almost everything. A cage is never too big unless you have just one cavy. For your girls, I would recommend3x4 or 2x6 with a 2x2 loft because a 1x2 is too small for two piggies. I'll post some pics to give you an idea of the difference:

Crowded Loft.jpg Loft3.jpg

AnimalLover55

Cavy Gazer
Thank you! Yup, my girls do love cardboard...Those are adorable piggies. Are they yours? I think I will go with a 2x4 loft but I think the cage will have to be 2x5, not 6. Our nyc apt just doesn't have that kind of space...

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Thank you! Yup, my girls do love cardboard...Those are adorable piggies. Are they yours? I think I will go with a 2x4 loft but I think the cage will have to be 2x5, not 6. Our nyc apt just doesn't have that kind of space...

I think perhaps you meant a 2x2 loft on a 2x5 cage? Having previously lived in NYC for 19 years, I'm well acquainted with the limitations of space. We currently live in a small house and the piggy cage occupies ~25% of my home office.

Thanks for the compliment! The pics are of Chester & Maya who crossed over the Rainbow Bridge about 1.5 yr ago. I now have two Abby boys who as I write this are having an argument about something. :D Their arguments never last very long and are mild in nature. I think Sparky got up on the wrong side of the cozy this morning.

AnimalLover55

Cavy Gazer
Oops! Yup thats exactly what I meant. Hopefully your boys work it out!

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc so it's ok for piggies to chew on cardboard? I haven't been using boxes because I've been afraid of this!

Also - you were so spot on about Abbys being noisy!! we are head over heels for our little Harry Styles...he makes noise any time he hears someone nearby and has earned them both quite a few veggies that way, lol! and no joke, he can't move without squeaking. It's the cutest darn thing!

RodneyLuv30

Cavy Slave
@BeckieL I'm pretty sure they all like to nibble cardboard /eat paper. I read as long as they don't have an excessive amount in one sitting, it's ok. I've even read about some eating their paper bedding. Just make sure you keep plastic bags away from them and the cage as some pigs will eat those as well!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc so it's ok for piggies to chew on cardboard? I haven't been using boxes because I've been afraid of this! We are head over heels for our little Harry Styles.

So long as there isn't much glue on the cardboard, I have no problem using it. You just need to limit the amount that they ingest.......which is why I can't leave it in the cage too long. My boys are absolutely mad for cardboard!

Ahhh....now you understand my love affair with Abbys:love: I have been ruined for any other breed. They are SO communicative that you will begin to understand what he is saying/wanting/asking. For instance, Sparky has about four different rumbles that mean different things......and I understand each of them.

Welcome to my world! lol

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So long as there isn't much glue on the cardboard, I have no problem using it. You just need to limit the amount that they ingest.......which is why I can't leave it in the cage too long. My boys are absolutely mad for cardboard!

Ahhh....now you understand my love affair with Abbys:love: I have been ruined for any other breed. They are SO communicative that you will begin to understand what he is saying/wanting/asking. For instance, Sparky has about four different rumbles that mean different things......and I understand each of them.

Welcome to my world! lol
My new baby boys are part Peruvian, and part Abby. And boy, do they tend to babble! And, they're not really babies any more lol. They turn 7 months old today and Punkin is 1334g and Scooter is 1209g, as of yesterday.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.