Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other Chicken experts, come here please!

GuineaPigMania2

Cavy Slave
Sooo, a few questions on chicken care. My first, most pressing one is what type of bedding do they need? In their enclosure, will they need grass or concrete, or can they live on stones? My back garden has medium size stones, not pebbles, a bit bigger. We have a separate area with pebble like stones, but with a few small broken bricks scattered around, so I would need to remove them wouldn't I? I heard they need pebbles to keep their beak down don't they?
In the hutch where they would spend the night, what bedding will they need, shredded newspaper or straw?

What about a full-time enclosure, would these pig/bunnie runs be OK?
images
9k=

Or would I need something else? Bearing in mind they will get daily 'out' time in my garden, if they need it.

Is it true you get 200 eggs per chicken a year? If so, three hens would mean 600 eggs a year, right?

And does anyone have any idea what extra things I need/should do? Such as what kind of food, how much is the average chicken, etc.

I know this is a GUINEA PIG forum, but I did do his thread in the 'Other animal' category. I didn't want to make a user on a chicken forum just to ask a few questions (maybe I'll have to :() So, just wondering, can any one help?

GuineaPigMania2

Cavy Slave
Please give advice :)

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hi! Well, I owned chickens in the past, and I will give you the advice I know from them. Chickens like to live in grass. This gives them the chance to eat bugs that live in the grass. It is also easier on their beaks when they peck the ground. Chickens only need bedding in their nesting boxes or shelter. This should be something soft. I'm sure those runs would be fine, but make sure it is secure and animal-proof. Chickens attract a lot of wildlife, so be careful. My first chickens were killed by a snake because of not making sure.You should always let your chickens in the garden at least once a day. Like Guinea pigs, they need mental simulation, and can't get this in a cage. Most chickens learn where home is after a few weeks of scavenging and always go close to the enclosure when dusk falls. This is sort of true. most chickens lay between a hundred and two a year, depending on fertility. I fed my chickens chicken feed, which is basically just ground corn. They loved it. I fed them once in the morning then again at night, and let them scrounge around for bugs during the day. This didn't make them fat. Chicken prices also depend on where you are. most feed stores carry chicks, and mine carries them for about two dollars a piece.Tips:Chickens poop a LOT. It gets stinky after a while, so cleaning their cage can help minimize the stench.Make sure you don't end up with a rooster. They crow in the early morning hours, and its annoying and loud as heck. hens just sleep through it.

GuineaPigMania2

Cavy Slave
I have grass in my front garden, but they could easily go through my hedge and on the road and we have no gate. The hedge is VERY long so it will be expensive putting wiring or gates around it all. Any suggestions? Cus they can't be put on a a harness or lead can they?

If I did get chickens I would have two or three female hens. I don't have many foxes or snakes where I live, the worst are owls, cats, dogs, squirrels and that sort of thing.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
You may want to join a backyard chicken forum to get all the right answers to your questions. https://www.backyardchickens.com/

As a guinea pig forum we do not condone the practice of keeping guinea pigs as outside pets. It is unsafe for the guinea pigs with quick weather changes their little bodies are not created to defend against, outside predators like fox, racoons, opossum, cats and dogs which will make quick work of a herd of guinea pigs and the lack of interaction from their humans which could lead to missed illnesses and bored animals.

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@Inle_Rabbit is right, joining a chicken forum would give you a better perspective and info.

GuineaPigMania2

Cavy Slave
Yes, I don't agree with keeping cavies outside, I don't keep mine outside. But you cannot keep chickens inside, and chickens are fine outside, when cared for properly. Like @Gforcepiggies there are chicken owners on here that can help me. :) But fortunately for me, we don't have many opossums or snakes here in the UK! Yay! But, I am careful still.

Yeah, I may join a forum and do some web searching, but if you have some advice, please say.

GuineaPigMania2

Cavy Slave
Just a though,, anyone know any good chicken forums?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.