Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad Lone GuineaPig?

Jesse

Cavy Slave
Today i went to a pet rescue centre to get Fifi a friend, since her sister dies a couple of days ago. They told me that it was a big risk to introduce another piggie since fifi is much bigger than the young ones, they may not get along and the young guinea pig could get ring worm due to stress. They said a number of other things that completely put me off. I was hoping to go to a rescue which has a some boars(that are already neutered) that need female companions. But will fifi be all right by herself, she seems fine at the moment.. eating, drinking normally. I bought her some new toys and am going to change the cage around to try and take her mind off her loss.
How can i make her feel less lonely, im just looking for any tips into making her happy and comfortable since everywhere i look it says that lone piggies will get depressed.

jessieisabel

Cavy Slave
I would definitely keep looking around for a friend, guinea pigs are social animals and they need company.

clb89

Cavy Slave
Actually younger and older guinea usually get along well. I've also never heard of ring worm being due to stress, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it a parasite? It doesn't sound like they know what they talking about. If introductions are done correctly most likely guinea pigs will bond. Also if you quarantine in separate room when you first get a new guinea pig you can make sure they are healthy before introductions.

Jesse

Cavy Slave
I thought that, but they kept telling a bunch of negative things. They said that it would be a bad idea to introduce a younger one because if they fought then he/she could get badly hurt. I will definatly look into matching my piggie with a neutered male..is there a chance that they will fight?
They also said 80 by 190cm is too small for two pigs, is that right?

Zubbus

Cavy Slave
There's always "a small chance" that 2 guinea pigs don't get along but most of them take a little while to get used to each other. It takes a bit of work and love to nurture their friendship more oftn than not but I've never heard anything like "don't try to give your guinea pig a friend".
According to the guide of this site, 80cm x 190 is big enough for 4 pigs. At this point I would seriously like you to name and identify this rescue because pretty much everything they have told you seem way off mainstream, if not completely wrong.

MuggleMaggie

Cavy Slave
I thought that, but they kept telling a bunch of negative things. They said that it would be a bad idea to introduce a younger one because if they fought then he/she could get badly hurt. I will definatly look into matching my piggie with a neutered male..is there a chance that they will fight?

I had no issues introducing a younger and older female. In fact they got along GREAT right off the bat!

Sorry, I don't know the measurements, I don't use metric and I can't convert that quickly in my head. I can do some research for you, if you'd like.

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
Yes please tell us what this place is called cause that information is a bit crazy!

The ringworm form stress thing makes me think they're not properly looked after at this place and that they're covering their backs if your current piggie gets it. The ringworm is a fungus. Stress can flair it up but only if it is present to begin with.

My local RSPCA is sceptical about boars being introduced or put in 3's or more but then lots of people aren't experienced and my RSPCA is a long way away from anything if things do go wrong. However young pigs with older is a 'safer' way of introducing a buddy.

I would definitely be looking for somewhere else to get a buddy from.

jilly22

Cavy Slave
When i introduced mine the younger one was only 2 months and my bigger one was a little over a year. I was pretty scared thinking it wouldnt turn out good, but they are best friends now :) That rescue doesnt sound like they know what they are doing. Hope you find your piggie a friend :)

MuggleMaggie

Cavy Slave

Oh! looks like your cage is plenty large enough. (broken link removed)

Also, I highly recommend getting a friend. A female is what *I* would do. I just found their introductions to be easier. Though, I don't have a ton of experience.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
I've always had much better luck introducing pigs with a significant age difference than pigs around the same age. Also, I don't see how stress would cause a parasitic infection.

There's always a small chance that two pigs won't get along, but most of the time they will, unless you introduce multiple males to a female, in which case the boars will often fight over the sow.

BNCavy91

Cavy Slave
Wow, I honestly, would look at a different rescue. This place sounds EXTREMELY uneducated, as well as maybe not a safe place for pigs, if there is a possibility of your pig getting Ring Worm from them ( Its a fungus, not a stress reaction, although stress can make it "flair")
I would highly suggest getting a friend for your pig, but definitely go somewhere else, and tell us the name,s o we know where NOT to go! YIKES!

Jesse

Cavy Slave
It was the rescue bit( i think rspca) at pets at home, it was a pets at home worker telling me the information, she was talking to me like a didnt know anything it was really quite annoying, if anything they should be trying to persuade my to take the guinea pig. i described my cloroplast cage and she looked at me like i was mad:/

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
The rescue bit at Pets at home often isn't RSPCA affiliated. I am very sceptical of their 'adoption' scheme (adoption for pets?) as there is very little real information you can find about it.
Have a look on the RSPCA pet finder or if you can give us your general location we might be able to point you to a good rescue as most aren't well known in the UK.

Jesse

Cavy Slave
Im going to try Bobtails in Ewell, surrey, iv seen good things about it but i'll visit first since the last rescue place i went was awful. Thanks for the advice:)

Zubbus

Cavy Slave
Yeah Pets At Home are not anywhere near as good as they think they are.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=p...95.613.8.8.0...0.0...1c.1.11.serp.9zG_ym8FC80
Wasn't there an inspection in Pets At Home a few months ago revealing they're doing everything down to goldfishes wrong?
There's also a Pipsqueek in Leatherhead which is quite a new rescue and keen to find adopters, is that's closer to you. I heard Bobtails are very experienced so you should be in good hands.

Rhyue

Cavy Slave
Sounds like people have been giving you good advice (other than that "rescue").

One thing to note if you're looking for a neutered male- make sure the surgery occurred at least 2 weeks ago before adding him in with you girl (i.e. make sure you quarantine not just for disease but to make sure any fertile sperm in his reproductive tract are gone) so you don't get accidental babies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.