Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits My Rabbit and his litter box

Tally943
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
Is he neutered? If he's neutered, he will be more likely to use his litter box and not feel the need to mark his territory. How big is the litter box? If he can't fit his whole body into it comfortably he might not want to use it. Does he use one specific corner for his toilet? If he does, litter training him is as simple as putting the litter box in that corner. You may need more than one box at first (until he learns what they are for) if he chooses more than one corner as his toilet.
My rabbits were litter trained by putting their litter boxes in their favourite toilet corners, and if they peed or pooped outside of the box we just scooped it up and put it in the litter box. They learned pretty quickly what the litter boxes were for. As Patrick is young, it will be more difficult to litter train him, but keep persevering! :)

Tally943

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
Yep, He came from the APL so hes neutered. And it seems like he peed in this one corner only so I rearranged his entire cage to make it work, and now im not sure, I will be sure when I clean his cage on sunday! As for the poop, I put newspaper where he normally goes and it worked, he went on it, so I poured it into the litter box and I havnt seen anymore today! :)

What do you think the chewing is about? Is he trying to move it?

Yay! Just be patient, he'll get there eventually! I don't know about the chewing, is he trying to pick it up and drag it? Or just gnawing? I'm sure there is something you could put on the litter box to stop the chewing, like Bitter Apple, but I'm not entirely sure.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Maybe a bigger litter box? That one looks small but not sure how big it is in relation to him.
I would also pile the hay IN the litter box. You will need to change it out every other day or more depending on use.
Are you giving him unlimited pellets? If yes, you should cut back to just 1/4 cup per day. That will likely increase his hay appetite. At the rescue i work at, we find that the rabbits that were given unlimited pellets don't eat as much hay and need some transition time.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
How large is his cage? He may be bored. Does he get free range time?

When my rabbit gets upset/mad she poops all over the place. This happens if we move things around in her room. She has free range of one of the rooms in my house.

Tally943

Pankaj Tiwari

Cavy Slave
He just Eventually doing that you can put the litter box away from for some time.You can consult to some local vet

Last edited by a moderator:

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
@RubyRain , I couldnt find any bigger corner ones, plus he is a dutch which is pretty small, I will try putting the hay in there. And the APL people said to give him unlimited pellets until he is an adult(6 months) and then afterwards only feed him 1/8 cup a day. So that is coming up, maybe start him sooner??

Why does it have to be a corner one? If you only have space for a corner one then you probably need a bigger space for him.
Dwarf rabbits need just as much space as large rabbits because they tend to have more energy and need to run.

Yes, typically you give unlimited pellets until 6 mos but since he's not eating hay and he's 5 mos already, that's why I said the 1/4 cup. Once he transitions and is eating more hay and older than 6 mos, then you can go down to the 1/8 of a cup of pellets.
Hay should be 70% of a rabbits diet. With pellets and veggies the other 30%.

Tally943
Tally943

Danichuck

Cavy Slave
For my two rabbits litter training ca,e natural and I use the kitten sized litter boxes you can buy at Walmart for under $3. Give that kind of litter box a try. I also line the bottom of the litter box with paper towel and then fill with news paper shavings that I shred myself. My vet said that was great so I know the news paper is vet approved. What size cage is he/she in? I have two dwarf rabbits one is 2 lbs and the other is 4 lbs and they are both in large sized dog cages, vet said the bigger the better but mine are also free roaming rabbits that only go in their cages at night time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.