Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My boys all of a sudden not getting along? :(

Sieraaaxd

Cavy Slave
I have 2 male guinea pigs, one is named Norman and hes about a year old and the other one is named Apollo and hes between 5 & 6 months. When I first got apollo I kept him away from norman In a separate cage for 3 weeks then I put his cage right next to the big area where norman is and I would let them run and play together in the big area for an hour or so a day until they got used to each other. They've acted normal and attemped to mount each other in the beginning but they have been together in the same area for about 3 1/2 months now and they were getting along just fine until about 3 days ago. Apollo is constantly acting like the alpha and he's been doing the butt dance. He steals normans food, constantly chases him around and he always gets in his face :/ my poor norman is such a sweet boy so he's never tried to fight apollo and he don't even run away he just stays still and weeks and they don't sound like happy weeks. I'm not sure what to do but I'm sure norman is getting irritated.. if anyone has any advice on why has acting like this or advice on what I can do please let me know :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What they're doing is perfectly normal and is to be expected from adolescent guinea pigs. You can make sure the cage is as large as possible, remove any hideys that have only one door so that one pig can't trap another, hang fleece forests so they're not always in each other's line of sight. There's no way around puberty in guinea pigs, or any other species, either.

Weigh Norman frequently to make sure he's getting enough food. Only separate them if Norman is losing significant amounts of weight or there is serious bloodshed. Otherwise, just chill out, and hope that they will also.

Sieraaaxd

Cavy Slave
What they're doing is perfectly normal and is to be expected from adolescent guinea pigs. You can make sure the cage is as large as possible, remove any hideys that have only one door so that one pig can't trap another, hang fleece forests so they're not always in each other's line of sight. There's no way around puberty in guinea pigs, or any other species, either.

Weigh Norman frequently to make sure he's getting enough food. Only separate them if Norman is losing significant amounts of weight or there is serious bloodshed. Otherwise, just chill out, and hope that they will also.

Ok sounds like a plan. I even gave them a bath yesterday because I read that it could be a bonding experience for them and after the bath they were cuddling and being so sweet together then this morning apollo was having an attitude and being the same way before they had their bath. So I'll just keep an eye out and try to be patient :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.