Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding 2male cagemates new member...VERY BAD

Fick2010

Cavy Slave
For anyone who read a post about cage size dilemma with me I am no longer moving at least not for a while. We were able to expand our 2x4 to. 2x6. Its a little cramped but we will live. Any way...
I had two males in one cage since October, no problems. They are both around 6months. 3wks ago we got a 2yr old that we introduced today. First hour no problems just typical mounting and rumblestrutting. Nothing to flag. I cleaned the cage completely washed everything. Put them in for an hour and no problems just a little chasing. All of a sudden Harvey snd Waffles the two originals went into a full out brawl threw a towel on them and removed one. I thought it was odd so we gave them all a bath. Everything was fine then abd we put them back in the cage. Again fine for a while then Harvey went after Waffles again so he ran which spooked Nyles the 2yr old who then attacked Waffles.
We tried just removing Nyles, but Harvey and Waffles were going to go at it again so I removed him and split the cage so he could see the other 2.
Then Harvey started with Nyles so I have my 2x6 seperated into 3 cages. I know that's too small. I'm hoping it is just temporary.
I wanted to know how long I should wait to introduce them again or if anyone has any advice.
Before anyone asks Waffles did get cut behind his ear but nothing deep. We put a little pressure on it and it stopped bleeding.

Attachments

20140101_005122.jpg

lissie

Cavy Slave
Try again after a week or two. If it still doesn't work out, you might have to wait for months. Your original two are at the age of puberty.

Fick2010

Cavy Slave
Try again after a week or two. If it still doesn't work out, you might have to wait for months. Your original two are at the age of puberty.

Ok thank you. Hopefully all goes well next time thank you.

piggiepigpigs75

Cavy Slave
From experience and what I have read, boars are better in pairs, unless all three were introduced young.

Fick2010

Cavy Slave
From experience and what I have read, boars are better in pairs, unless all three were introduced young.

We were not planning on getting another. Nyles was moment decision to save his life.

lissie

Cavy Slave

I introduced my 3rd male (3 years old) to my pair of 10 month old boars. They didn't have any issues. They don't have to be introduced young. Most young boars actually will get into trouble once they get into their puberty stage.

piggiepigpigs75

Cavy Slave
I introduced my 3rd male (3 years old) to my pair of 10 month old boars. They didn't have any issues. They don't have to be introduced young. Most young boars actually will get into trouble once they get into their puberty stage.

My existing boar pair had dominance issues leading to injuries with one of my pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.