Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition hay and pellets

Jesse

Cavy Slave
I wanted to know what the best brand and type of food and hay is best for guinea pigs, I live in the UK so English brands that I can easily buy would be best. Thanks :)
Also what fresh vegetables are good.

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
cant really tell you about brands but for veggies my pigs love their leafy veggies, i feed green leaf and boston lettuce. i dont use romaine just in case they get too much calcium. green bell peppers they love. yellow is good too but red has the highest amount of sugar. cilantro they eat up. they also eat endive and radicchio. i sometimes make a salad and mix the lettuce, endive and radicchio together. baby carrots are great and cucumber. i have fed apple occassionally. they didnt really like zucchini. :)

here is the link to a chart that shows you how often you can feed veggies and fruits and the amount of sugar, calcium etc in each https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html#post254730

Jesse

Cavy Slave

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
oh and if you havent heard of Piggiepigpigs on Youtube she is also in the UK so maybe you can get ideads on what some good brands are from her videos. Piggiepigpigs! - YouTube

Digital_Dad

Cavy Slave
We use Mazuri pellets and our cavies love them. As far as hay we buy all kinds as long as it is fresh and green. We usually buy local hay but we also buy from Small Pet Select and Kaytee hays are usually good, inexpensive and easy to come by. Their vegetables are more important than the pellets and the hay comes after the veggies, so pellets are the least important. Also one thing that gets overlooked is fresh water daily! Do not buy a giant bottle that holds a lot of water - WHY you ask? because you are more likely to neglect changing, cleaning and filling it daily with fresh water is why. A bottle that will give them enough water for a day is all you need AND buy at least two of those. One will be a back up in case the other one fails, so you will actually have two days worth of water available at all times. You will see a lot of people here push for Oxbow, I almost believe they are getting kickbacks for them or something lol! Another good brand is KMS Hayloft! But due to their price I choose to stay away from them.

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
The best is oxbow which is very expensive here. I use Burgess Excel (orange bag) and feed slightly less than recommended as they are a little higher in calcium than Oxbow. Hay I can't really help with as I live in Wales and get it from a local farm.

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
And @Digital_Dad hay does not come after veggies hay is the most important part of their diet!

Jesse

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone and I have already been watching piggiepigpigs iv noticed she buts a lot of burgess excell products so I might try that out. :)

Jesse

Cavy Slave
Also will two piggies need two food bowls, the one I have now is fairly large.

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
I only use one large bowl and i've seen both of my piggies eat at the same time.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Also will two piggies need two food bowls, the one I have now is fairly large.

If they have dominance issues, then yes.
But as they only need two tablespoons each daily (~20g), smaller bowls are better & easier to eat out of.

That's one of the many issues I have with Piggiepigpig's videos, where she's repeatedly spreading incorrect info on diet with bad treats & unlimited pellets higher in calcium. And because of her popularity, many will take her advice on care. She's also not interested in correct information & gets defensive when confronted & corrected.

She has gorgeous & creative cages, but I wouldn't take her advice on care or products which she has little or no knowledge of.

Last edited:

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@HannibalLecter That's what I noticed when I watched some of her videos, I mean she has cute piggies and really cool cages but her advice isn't correct and if I wasn't apart of this forum, I would probably take that advice as she is so popular.

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
to be honest ive never paid much attention to the advice i just like her pigs and her hand made items. lol i assumed she had good brands of pellets and hay but i have noticed in her haul videos she buys them the seed mix treats so that's not good. i do have store bought treats but they are the oxbow timothy treats and veggie treats so i think they are a little better than the seed mixes and popular sticks that people give their animals. but my piggies dont get those treats alot. Vegetables are a pigs favourite treat anyway.

Jesse

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.