Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions My trio is having some issues! :(

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
A few of you already know that I introduced Guinea with the new boys, Wrigley and Badger about 5 days ago. Everything was fine; the typical figuring out whose the top piggy behaviors were going on. Wrigley has always chattered at me if I try to pick up in his cages (only had him for 3 weeks). Guinea is now chattering at me and Wrigley the second I step into the cage, even if I have veggies. :( Guinea has NEVER chattered at me, ever! Before I put him with the 2 others, he seemed happy being a solo pig, but I really wanted to try him with some so he would have a friend. Now he just runs from me, and seems terrified every time I come in the room. Maybe I should just face the fact that he would rather be by himself? Not sure if I am over reacting but I feel like he isn't the same pig. I was making serious progress with him before I put him with the boys. :(

soccerchickgrp5

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hm. Did you intro them correctly? Give him time and keep us updated.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Hm. Did you intro them correctly? Give him time and keep us updated.

Sorry forgot to add that part in! Yes, I did. I introed them all in the living room. They all were there for about 7 hours. :/

soccerchickgrp5

Cavy Slave

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
7 hours just starting off???? @Melissa123
I am confused. My blonde is showing :p They all were in a neutral area for 7 hours with each other then put into a super clean 5x6.5 cage an have been in that cage for 5 days.

soccerchickgrp5

Cavy Slave
I am confused. My blonde is showing :p They all were in a neutral area for 7 hours with each other then put into a super clean 5x6.5 cage an have been in that cage for 5 days.
Oh ahaha yes that sounds about right. I would wait a lil bit, maybe he thinks that the other pigs are stealing his love from you.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
@soccerchickgrp5, you had me confused for a minute :D I was going to say, "Did I miss something here?" :) I will keep them together for a bit longer, but I need to see some serious improvements soon or I will have to separate them and have Guinea by himself.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Melissa give it another week or so. It's been a week since my intro and they are now just leaving Who's there alone. They were so bad I wanted to spank my bully Huggle, but them I noticed all were just bullying him, making him #4. But its funny, if they try to steal food from him, he will take it back.

Edited tosay, He would cry when I touched him or started to pet him, he would be facing a corner so he thought he was getting bullied again. Now he will come over to the grids, I always have a treat for him.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Melissa give it another week or so. It's been a week since my intro and they are now just leaving Who's there alone. They were so bad I wanted to spank my bully Huggle, but them I noticed all were just bullying him, making him #4. But its funny, if they try to steal food from him, he will take it back.

Edited tosay, He would cry when I touched him or started to pet him, he would be facing a corner so he thought he was getting bullied again. Now he will come over to the grids, I always have a treat for him.

The fact that he was much happier by himself than with piggy friends has me worried though. I will wait it out as long as I can. Before introing them all Guinea would popcorn every time I came in with veggies and beg for them. Now I get nothing, just chatters. :(

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
The fact that he was much happier by himself than with piggy friends has me worried though. I will wait it out as long as I can. Before introing them all Guinea would popcorn every time I came in with veggies and beg for them. Now I get nothing, just chatters. :(

I thought the same with the two 3 1/2 year olds I just adopted. My young guys drove them nuts and I was going to make two 2x4 for them but decided against it because I can give them enough room to have a space of their own. And I have caught one of the little ones napping near Who's there and he is getting better too. Guinea will adjust too I bet, just give it time if they aren't fighting and terrorizing him too much.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Mine old boys were at the shelter for 8 months in their little cage or the floor 2x2 space. left alone to eat and nap. Their life is a big difference now and they will have to get use to it. Also with their cage up so high they can look out at us not up at us.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Who's there gets a pile of hay the others like to mess with......

Mr. scaredy cat is the big one on the left.

QtrSkill

Cavy Slave
Trios are bad choice, I learned the hard way. I had a rescue for two months then i decided to introduce him to my two bonded boars, everything went fine for three weeks. then they started bullying and fighting and blood was drawn. now they are all separated. pigs tend to get in pair and bully the 3rd. some people have trios with no issues..
I'd separate him since its early, and maybe later find him a friend.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Who's there gets a pile of hay the others like to mess with......

Mr. scaredy cat is the big one on the left.
They all are VERY cute!! Love that they are all mostly black! :) love the names btw

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
OK! I just realized that I forgot to add a pretty important thing in this thread!! This is Guinea's 2nd time with a herd. The first time was with Guinness and Chewy. Guinea was getting worse everyday, and was leaving Guinness and Chewy nipped up and was ripping fur out. He has been by himself for over a month and seemed like a very happy piggy that way. Thoughts? @lunarminx, @QtrSkill, @soccerchickgrp5

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
OK! I just realized that I forgot to add a pretty important thing in this thread!! This is Guinea's 2nd time with a herd. The first time was with Guinness and Chewy. Guinea was getting worse everyday, and was leaving Guinness and Chewy nipped up and was ripping fur out. He has been by himself for over a month and seemed like a very happy piggy that way. Thoughts? @lunarminx , @QtrSkill , @soccerchickgrp5

Separate him again and see. Was he at least near the others to see or hear them?

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Separate him again and see. Was he at least near the others to see or hear them?
He was able to see and eat hay next to Guinness and Chewy (have the vertical hay racks that they can eat from both sides) but never with Wrigley and Badger- Wrigley always chewed on the bars trying to get to Guinea and the others if he saw them.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
He was able to see and eat hay next to Guinness and Chewy (have the vertical hay racks that they can eat from both sides) but never with Wrigley and Badger- Wrigley always chewed on the bars trying to get to Guinea and the others if he saw them.

If he was happy like that, try and see if he acts better when you go back to that arrangement.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
@lunarminx, I am really considering it. I just don't want to have the "Would it have worked out if I would've waited longer" in the back of my mind. :/ It's a dilemma for sure.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.