Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites Bingham Pigs (5) Medical Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarkkatarina

Cavy Slave
Hi, everyone! I'm aware we should have a thread for each pig but I have five and this pertains to all five of them - if this should be elsewhere or the name of the thread changed, I apologize and please let me know so I can fix it or at least know for next time!

My husband and I area currently living with my parents, who have an indoor cat and an outdoor cat. My husband and I are in the process of moving and have gotten the OK from the landlord to bring our piggos and we're adopting a cat from a local shelter, but before we bring in the shelter cat we have a concern: we recently found out the indoor cat got fleas. We're not sure how; we think maybe someone brought a few in on their clothes from the outdoor cat and passed them on to the cat, thus producing a nightmarish situation, but how they came in doesn't matter - they're inside and so are the pigs!

We're concerned they might also have fleas because the cages are in a high traffic area and the cat hangs out in that room sometimes. We haven't checked each pig over yet, as I'm at work and my husband is also today, but when I get home that's the first thing I'm doing. I think the two babies won't have them because their cage is elevated high off the floor, but the other two cages sit on the floor so I'm mainly concerned about them. In the event that they do end up having fleas...what do I do?! I would imagine they're too small to put any sort of medicine on and they would be likely to lick it off their feet after scratching (unless there's some small rodent flea medication I'm not aware of?) which could make them very ill or kill them, so I want to avoid that route if possible, but I certainly don't want to bring a new cat into the mix at the new apartment if they're going to bring fleas with them.

How should I go about this and what can I do? Any info or suggestions are helpful!

Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How much do they weigh? That will determine which treatments they might have.

Powders and sprays aren't recommended for them, so I'd ask the vet for some kitten Revolution.

Farm Friendly

Cavy Slave
The number one recommendation for kittens and puppies that are too young for flea medicines is bathing in Blue Dawn. It's non toxic and kills fleas. I've never tried it on a guinea pig, but it should work.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not the number one recommendation here. And I've used in my dog in a pinch, and it didn't kill a single flea.

Kitten revolution is the safest way to go with small pigs.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Wow, bpatters, I have used dawn on my dogs and flees just die and fall off. But I don't think any solutions should be "number one recommendation".

If if you go the kitten revolution route, separated each piggie till it's dry. Piggies will clean one another.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
A number one recommendation is called a number one recommendation because the object given the title is the best and most popular. In this case, the "number one recommendation" is the kitten revolution because it's the best, most popular and safest solution for baby guinea pigs. Just because Dawn worked on your dogs doesn't mean it will be safe or even relatively effective on guinea pigs. Why would you want to settle on a mediocre solution when you'd have a better chance at solving the problem, without having to worry if it will work or not or if it will harm the pig, by just using the number one recommendation?

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Dawn dish detergent has literally saved the lives of several kittens I've rescued in the past. Kitten revolution probably is the best treatment, but it requires a vet visit, and I don't think the Dawn would hurt in a pinch until you can get there.

[MENTION=38487]CavyTV[/MENTION] I appreciate your enthusiasm, I really do, but sometimes your tone comes across as snappy and pushy. You'll find that more people will follow your advice if you're kinder about it. Some won't but that's ok too. Many people have different opinions on guinea pig care, and as long as they're not harming the pigs, it doesn't hurt to listen and gently suggest a better way from your experience.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
@CavyTV you are a pain. Dawn is safe on baby ducks and they use them on several water birds. Birds are more fragile than guinea pigs so, shut up. Thanks for the wrong definition of "number one recommendation". Now if you said he means this site, that would be right. I think you need to stop answering others. That was directed to bpatters. You constantly do this and I'm sick of it. Pigmommy89 comment is the best. Dawn in a pinch and schedule a vet visit. The little piggies might be too small.

Sorry everyone for me being upfront but this isn't the first time CavyTV has been rude.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
@Shieme, do you know what I'm sick of? People assuming what one means by his/her post. Why not instead of assuming, being rude back, and acting immature about it, we just leave it alone? Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Do you ever think that what you say can hurt a person's feelings? Saying something that might come off as a bit unkind to some but wasn't intended to sound unkind or hurt anyone is better than saying something to someone in hopes that it will sound unkind and that it will hurt someone's feelings.

I personally think that putting Dawn, a dish soap with hundreds of potentially harmful chemicals, on a guinea pig's sensitive, fragile skin is absolutely ridiculous. Now, if you believe that Dawn is okay for guinea pigs and you have no problem putting it on them because it's been put on dogs and birds, fine then. Just don't be discourteous. Pigmommy89's post should apply to you too. How can you think that being that inconsiderate and shooting insults at me will help resolve the problem? There shouldn't even be a problem. I said what I said and I had no intention of offending anyone. Like I said, everybody has the right to say what they think and that's what I did. It isn't right to tell someone to leave the Forums and to shut up just because you didn't like what they said. Like Pigmommy89 said, there's a much kinder way to express your thoughts and feelings. I think you and I both can learn from that.

Last edited:

Shieme

Cavy Slave
I think you need to learn to read better. That post from pigmommy89 never said my name. The only thing you said right was Dawn has chemicals. But what do you think is in kitten revolution? Salt water? Think before you fuss.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Jesus. Dawn has HARMFUL chemicals and was never intended for animals. Kitten Revolution is meant for animals so therefore the chemicals in that solution are NOT harmful.

And yes, I know Pigmommy89 never said your name but that's beside the point. You were, no, you are being rude and inconsiderate. So, therefore, the post can apply to you too, regardless if your name was mentioned or not. And instead of just leaving it alone as said you continue to press on, and for what? It does not matter. Drop it. Leave it alone.
Unlike you, I am trying to move on and I'm trying not to offend anyone intentionally, no matter how much I would like to. So, I hope you can learn to follow because I am done with this pointless conversation we're having.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
As long as you realize you attacked me first and if you were dropping it you wouldn't be trying to get the last word.

Kitten revolution is is not safe for all animals. A lot inventions were accidentally made then they found uses for them. Flee medications were made for dogs first before cats. It's a lower dose for cats. Cats are known to have seizures if the dose isn't correct, which is why it's great to go to the vet and get the animal's weight. So again, if you do go this route, please make an appointment.
[MENTION=38487]CavyTV[/MENTION], you constantly put you point across like it's the only one that matters. And you do it harshly. Maybe you don't mean it that way but that's how it comes about. Sorry for pointing it out like I did. I should never tell one to shut up. That was wrong but you have come across rude. Please reread pigmommy89 post. She said harsh. That was for you not me. I just like how she said use dawn first till the appointment.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
This has gone far enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.