Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine My guinea pig has brown urine and i'm not sure if she's drinking

SonicexA

Cavy Slave
Three days ago we bought five guinea pigs (two adult females(Kath and Kim), one adult male(Jaffa), and two baby females(not named yet). They have settled into their new cages quite nicely but we had to separate Kim and her babies from Kath and Jaffa because we didn't want her to get pregnant again while she still had babies at her side (I read somewhere if u get your cavy pregnant again too soon after giving birth she could die due to tiredness), and just recently she peed on my sister and her urine was brown!
Could this be due to her eating a piece of carrot yesterday? Or is she not drinking enough? Last night she didn't touch her water bottle and it's still full now - but in her day cage she has open water and I can't tell if it's going down.
I'm really worried because she has the two babies as well.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
To answer your main question, food can affect the color of the urine, but carrot doesn't usually do so. Guinea pig urine darkens as it dries, so if the urine was not fresh when you observed the color, that may be the cause. Urinary tract infections generally have an odor, so if you don't notice anything out of the ordinary, it's probably not due to an infection. I'd observe her carefully, and if the abnormal color continues, get her in to a good exotic vet.

The bad news is, if the male was in the cage when the birth occurred, she's probably already pregnant again. Guinea pigs can get pregnant again within minutes of giving birth. Pregnancy is very hard on guinea pig sows, and back-to-back pregnancies are worse because their bodies have no time to recover. They're also very hard on the second litter of pups because the sow isn't in optimal condition at the beginning of the pregnancy..

Guinea pigs are susceptible to a number of genetic diseases. Osteodytrophy causes painful and incurable bone disease. Lethal white syndrome results in pups that are blind, deaf, with missing/wonky teeth, and immature digestive systems. Additionally, there are thousands of unwanted guinea pigs in rescues and shelters around the country. Please do not deliberately breed your guinea pigs.

SonicexA

Cavy Slave
Thanks, but because this is the first time I've owned guinea pigs (both my parents owned them when they were younger) I can't tell if the smell of 'pig urine smells differently to Kim's. I'll try to catch some urine on a white cloth next time to see if the problem is persisting, and also to see if it is brown fresh from cavy.
As to the fact that Kim was with Jaffa so close to her previous pregnancy wasn't our fault. The previous owners (anonymous) had them all in a cage together when we bought them so I suppose there's practically no chance she's not pregnant, which is a really big worry.
Thanks stacks for the advice, I'll come back to this if the problem clears up.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, normal guinea pig urine has almost no smell when it's fresh. (Peed-on hay is totally another matter!) But infections will have a definite odor to them.

Crossing my fingers that your sow isn't pregnant.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Have you separate the male from the sows? Sounds like Kath and Jaffa are still living together.

SonicexA

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone!
Just now Kim got relaxed and let go of a small ocean while I was holding her. The urine is a milky yellow, so it's not brown anymore!
As to Kath and Jaffa living together, we would like some piglets. However I am aware of the risks and I have read heaps of breeding advice. Still, any tips would be useful.
Thanks again!

SonicexA

Cavy Slave
The urine did smell a little, but not a stench.
Thanks - we can use all the crossed fingers we can get! :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
My tip would be to be a responsible pet owner and don't breed them. This is a non breeding, pro adoption forum. You can find plenty of pups if you look on Petfinder where there are probably close to 1000 guinea pigs listed for adoption which does not include the large numbers listed on craigslist or being euthanized at local animal control shelters.

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
So.. you're aware of the risks and yet you wish to breed them anyways? If you want "piglets" so badly why not go out and adopt one of the many guinea pigs that don't have a decent home due to the very irresponsible breeding you yourself wish to go through with?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just so you know, SonicexA, we are a strongly anti-breeding, pro-adoption, pro-rescue forum. If you deliberately breed your pigs, you may not post pictures of them here, nor may you post or talk about breeding in any way.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Don't you have pups from Kim? Why would you breed more? For the sake of your sows, please don't breed them.

Axe34

Cavy Slave
"However I am aware of the risks"

*still proceeds with breeding*

Sigh.

lizpow

Cavy Slave
I don't know if you are still even looking at this thread but my two sense is this: I understand that the idea of having a pregnant sow is exiting and watching babies grow up from birth would be amazing but there are other ways to get this experience like volunteering at a shelter. I also would like to let you know that as a guinea pig owner with more experience than you I can look back and say that I have gone ahead and decided to do something that other owners had told me wasn't the best idea or changed things things here and there like the suggested bonding method and I have never been put in a situation like that that was potentially life altering or threatening to any of mu pigs but I've always looked back and wishes I had just done what the more experienced owners had suggested. I don't think you have done enough research to understand the risks and the amount of pigs that are being euthanized simply because they were returned to the pet store and no one wanted a pig that was over ten weeks old. You also have to understand that most of the people who put their story of their pregnant pig and successfully raising pigs from day one were the people who had little to no trouble and I don't think any one should try to do that without the help of someone who is very experienced if they are going to do it, usually because they adopted a pregnant sow or accidentally got a male and a female. Keep in mind the possible medical cost and vet costs. What if you have to call the vet for an emergency house visit? And you can't get all of this information on this forum. As great as it is it doesn't replace your vet who have records for your Guinean pigs and can recognize symptoms younger not even know to look for to tell the people on this forum.

SonicexA

Cavy Slave
Ok, guys, I've obviously been misunderstood. Jaffa and Kath have been together for weeks before we got them and we believe Kath is indeed pregnant already.
I said that we would like some piglets. I meant that because Kath is pregnant we're not going to give up on her or give her away or anything - we'll instead look after her to the best of our abilities.
Please don't keep saying I'm irresponsible when it really wasn't my fault!
Anyways, I understand your concern, and I thank you for trying to discourage me, because I realise if I was someone else that would be the right thing to do. However you don't know my situation - for all you know I could be a vet myself. @lizpow, yes, I do realise that you can't trust just anyone on the internet that sounds like they know what they're doing. Thanks for the advice, but I am old enough to know that :). @bpatters Yes I'm sorry, but I was painted into a corner - unless I just ignored the person that asked me that (looking back maybe that was the better thing to do? :) )

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.