Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pigsitting need piggie sitter (for $$) in or near Boulder Colorado July 6-28

Cogni

Cavy Slave
I am looking for a piggie-sitter for my two boys Badger and Snowy while I am out of the country for 3 weeks July 6-28. We are in Boulder Colorado near the University.

Badger is a large gentle Abyssinian, 6 1/2 years old, a bit of a momma's boy. I've had him since he was 9 months old. Snowy is a young energetic pig, probably about 5-6 months old. I rescued him about a month ago and he is still skittish although he is much better now and has filled out a bit (he was skinny when I got him).

My idea is to bring them to your place with their stuff. I have a large C&C cage that could be reconfigured if need be, and lots of fleeces and towels, and hay, and plenty of pellets from KleenMama.

I'd pay well and also cover their veggies.

I'm willing to drive a bit if you are not right in Boulder.

If you could be their loving sitter please PM me so we can get it set up!

(P.S. I'm sorry I could not seem to work the categories for new threads - could not change from "Behavior"

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
I'm nearby but unfortunately I'll be traveling around the same time. If you can't find anyone, I would look up Cavy Care, Inc in Aurora. They can watch guinea pigs and I think they're pretty affordable.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
The problem with Cavy Care is that they keep the piggies in pet store cages. It would do in an emergency but for 3 weeks, and if your boys aren't well bonded, it could very easily lead to fighting. Unfortunetly I don't live in Boulder anymore or I would gladly take them!

Cogni

Cavy Slave
The problem with Cavy Care is that they keep the piggies in pet store cages. It would do in an emergency but for 3 weeks, and if your boys aren't well bonded, it could very easily lead to fighting. Unfortunetly I don't live in Boulder anymore or I would gladly take them!

I worried about boarding them for exactly that reason - I have heard of pigs being put in tiny cages. Such a shame that a place specializing in guinea pigs would do that, though.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
Oh I didn't know that. They keep their adoptable piggies in C&C cages so I just assumed they did the same for pet sitting. Good to know.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Oh I didn't know that. They keep their adoptable piggies in C&C cages so I just assumed they did the same for pet sitting. Good to know.

No they don't. If you look at their website under their about us tab they have several pictures of pet store cages all stacked one on top of the other. All their pigs are kept in pet store cages. I've been to their facility myself more then once. The cages are clean but they are all pet store cages. They also don't require c&c cages for adoptions, so the pigs they adopt out will almost always live their lives in pet store cages.

I'm not the biggest fan of theirs.

If NOTHING ELSE is possible the op may have to contact them but personally I know it would be my last choice.

Edit: It seems they have updated their site and now I see a FEW of their pigs have c&c but it's far from the majority. In a picture with 10 cages only 2 of them are c&c, the rest are pet store cages.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
I see. I've never been there but follow them on Facebook. I remember them posting a picture of a giant pen on the floor with female piggies in it and then a row of C&C cages. They must have not posted photos of the pet store cages on Facebook.

cavycrazy1107

Cavy Gazer
Local Shelters for guinea pigs might board them in C and C cages. I know the one near me does anyway.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I changed the prefix for you.

Have you post this on Guinea Lynx?

Cogni

Cavy Slave
No only here. I once joined that site but it was years ago, don't remember the user name and password. I have consulted that site for various things in the past, but only posted once I think, when my Tufty was ill. i'll try it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cogni, I know your username over at GL, but not your password. Email me if you want it.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Oh yes please!! I have been trying to either log in or register on Guinea Lynx for about 15 minutes. I thought my username was Cogni there too. I've tried every permutation I can think of that name and my own name and all my usual passwords and my two usual emails, on gmail and on my university server. And it won't let me register a new account because it says my user name and email are already registered. but it won't let me get a new password for them. I always get stuck in these snafus

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I sent you an email. You're Duncaroo at GL.

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
I hope you find a sitter. Just wondering, what is the going rate to pig sit? I might do that in the future.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Success! Thanks bpatters! and thanks for piggie-sitting Badger in TX for all those months when I was on sabbatical!!

Last edited:

Cogni

Cavy Slave
I don't know that there is a going rate. Last year I paid $50+veggies to a lady in Boulder for 3 weeks, for one pig. This year I was going to offer $70+veg for two pigs. Life is expensive just at the moment so I don't have a lot to spare, or I would pay more to have my darlings well looked after.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, the going rate here in Houston is about $15 per day if the person comes to your house twice. It would be something less, I would think, if the pigs are going to their house, but $70 for three weeks sounds low to me.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Oh no, even with veggies? :( I guess I will have to scrape the barrel and find more...

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Oh my goodness. I can't believe you would have to pay that much. I house sat and I was charging about $30 a day. That was plenty for me! If I were still in town I would have been totally willing to do it for 30 +veggies!

I don't suppose you have any neighbors that would be willing to take care of them?

Cogni

Cavy Slave
But $30/day for 22 days is $660!!

I will put a message on our neighborhood email list this week. Last year I did it and got many people offering their children as caretakers (or maybe the children offered, but it doesn't make any difference). But who knows there may be an experienced piggie person in the neighborhood now, if I'm really lucky, or somebody may know somebody. Actually that is how I found the person who did it last year (who isn't available this year). There are only about 100,000 people in all of Boulder so I know I'll probably have to drive them somewhere. Last year I drove them to "Gunbarrel Colorado" a strikingly named town not too far away.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.