Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Tips on taming baby boars?

ChubbyMonroe

Cavy Slave
Hi!
I am getting fed-up of watching repeated tips on taming baby boars so I have decided to come on here to ask for some tips because my lil baby Elvis is driving me bananas as he is so hyper and hasn't been raised and handled properly. He runs of and repeatedly scratches and bites me and it takes ages (a real pain) to get him out of his cage. By the way, I have tried to bond with him but it never works. I have even had to separate him from his best buddy because they got in a fight because Elvis was trying to mount him. I am getting him neutered on the weekend.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Hello I see you have posted earlier about issues with your boars. Do you still have the three? Why are you getting the one neutered, will you be putting him with a sow? I take it you were able to find an experience vet?

If you could post pics of your cage or explain the size and layout I can have some more detailed suggestions. A lot of times fights are due to cage size being too small, hideys with only one opening, or to few hideys so fights resume over them. Also puberty but mine are all adults so I have never experienced that.

Overall though I can tell you this, bonding takes time, months not days. It took over 3 months to get my guinea pigs comfortable to coming up to me and they still will run away if startled. I don't know if I could ever say my guinea pigs are bonded to me. They tolerate being handled and come up to say hi/ask for food so I am happy :D

ChubbyMonroe

Cavy Slave
Hello I see you have posted earlier about issues with your boars. Do you still have the three? Why are you getting the one neutered, will you be putting him with a sow? I take it you were able to find an experience vet?

If you could post pics of your cage or explain the size and layout I can have some more detailed suggestions. A lot of times fights are due to cage size being too small, hideys with only one opening, or to few hideys so fights resume over them. Also puberty but mine are all adults so I have never experienced that.

Overall though I can tell you this, bonding takes time, months not days. It took over 3 months to get my guinea pigs comfortable to coming up to me and they still will run away if startled. I don't know if I could ever say my guinea pigs are bonded to me. They tolerate being handled and come up to say hi/ask for food so I am happy :D

I have had to split Elvis and Persie,not because of Chubby Monroe but because Elvis is trying to mount him so I have brought a temporary cage from my rescue/farm/pet shop for Elvis (3x2) and it has a little lookout ledge. I have heard that is fine if it's only one pig.

ChubbyMonroe

Cavy Slave
Will send pics later

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
I have had to split Elvis and Persie,not because of Chubby Monroe but because Elvis is trying to mount him so I have brought a temporary cage from my rescue/farm/pet shop for Elvis (3x2) and it has a little lookout ledge. I have heard that is fine if it's only one pig.

I am confused then why are you getting Elvis neutered?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What is the problem with one of them mounting the other?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.