Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

One of the rare men who owns guinea pigs

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone :)

I'm Timo from Germany, i'm 26 years old i work in fashion design. And i got into guinea pigs just this year when i had to take care of my girlfriends guinea pigs while she was on vacation with her mother. I just fell in love with them. So now since february i have a normal haired brown guinea pig male (see my avatar) a young brown female rex teddy, a pregnant switzer teddy (as seen in my pregnancy thread) and a normal-haired black and white dotted female (who's also pregnant)

the 2 pregnant girls and the male are about 5 months old. The male is castrated since almost 2 months, i thought it was castrated before, but apparently it was not which i only discovered when his testicles got huge, even my vet told me "Wow ive never seen such big balls on a guinea pig" and she owns guine pigs since her childhood and is very savvy :)

I have a huge cage for the hot summer times to put them in cool areas and a huge area for them when the weather is normal. Right now it's very hot here in germany so i keep them in an area of the house where it's only 23C° since my vet told me at 30C° it gets bad for them. I clean the cage 1-2 times a week and use fleece and hay/shredded wood mixed.

I let them out almost everyday for a little running in a whole room which i secure first - obviously the two pregnant sows stay inside since they're both big now :)

Please check my pregnancy thread and i'm glad for any advice!

I also plan on getting those (C&C cages?) everyone has here, but its hard to find one inside europe and the most american ones seem not to ship to Germany.

BTW: I will add pictures of all of them here soon.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Welcome, Tomoko! We'd love to see photos of your guinea pigs. I love teddies..... Coroplast is a brand name for polypropylene twinwall sheet plastic. It's also called corrugated plastic. You might be able to find it under those names. It comes in different thicknesses. I buy .0157 IN THK 4MM. You can substitute grids with metal closet shelving and have the store cut the pieces to the size you want for your cage. Good luck!

Khrisxtine

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the boards, Tomoko! Glad to have you!

Definitely looking forward to seeing pigtures of your herd!:D

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
Welcome Timo & Piggies! I was planning on starting a thread about whether or not piggy owners are predominately female and wanted to encourage all our male forum members to step forward...so I thank you for your introduction! We definitely want to see your piggy pictures! How many piggies does your girlfriend own? I heard that piggies are becoming the new 'cat'...I am beginning to think that might be true.

Last edited:

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hallo! Wie geht es dir?

Welcome to the forum, Timo! It's always great to meet new members! I can't wait to see the piggies!

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Your little guy is too cute! Welcome to the forum!

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I, too, am a dude with pigs. We're definitely in the minority here, but we're not alone :p

Razzle

Cavy Slave
Welcome. This is a great site.

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone :) And awesome picture mastershroom! Haha, i def. have to try that with one of the non preggers. Taking funny pictures of guinea pigs is my favourite.

Here some pictures of my piggies

Blackfoot: The white/beige/black pregnant teddy - the name because she only has one black foot the rest is skin colored. She awaits 3 piggies very very soon, check my pregnancy thread out for more pictures of her

Squirrel: The brown rex-teddy whos female but not pregnant. I called her Squirrel because when i gave her to my autistic 5 year old nephew he immediately said "Eichhörnchen!" which is german for squirrel :)

Uboot: The brown normal-haired male of the group, he likes to lick the female pigs face and chin for some reason and he is named "Uboot" which is german for "submarine" because sometimes he moves on the ground like a snake, so he looks like he has no legs and then makes the mating sound which sounds very deep and reminded me of a moving submarine for some reason.

Milka: The black & white normal haired female, she is also pregnant, with 2 babies, she still has 2 weeks to go. She is very shy and likes to bite me gently everytime i come near her. when i got food shes not shy anymore. She likes to sleep in the hammocks and somehow looks like a rat :) - She is named "Milka" because you probably know the german chocolate brand "Milka" which people here automatically combine with cows, and she looks like a rat with cow-details. - I took Milka immediately because the breeder i got her from said that nobody wants her because shes "ugly" ): - She has weird eyes, but i have a soft spot for weird things :)

Attachments

DSC06006.jpg DSC06091.jpg DSC06115.jpg DSC06140.jpg

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
And the rest :)

Attachments

DSC06043.jpg DSC06014.jpg DSC06005.jpg DSC06004.jpg DSC06097.jpg

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
Awws <33 I love your piggies! they are so cute c: when I real Milka's name I was like "chocolate!!!" out loud and my parents were staring at me like " o_O Are you ok?..." xD Welcome to the forum! :p

Liviebrew1

Cavy Slave
Welcome!!! Your pigs are so cuuuuuteee!!

NormaS

Cavy Slave
Blackfoot looks so cute. Looks like she is waving from her castle window, like a little princess!

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
My oldest pig, Quee, has sort of the opposite color pattern to your Blackfoot. She's all black and brown with no particular pattern, just random splotches, except one of her front legs is all white. I call it her sleeve tattoo :)

I don't have many good photos of her since she's grumpy and hates everyone, but here you can see her one white leg. From left to right, the photo includes Kwee, Quee, Cuddles, Curly, and Kelly hiding in the back.

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
Mastershroom, thats also an interesting combination, one foot being white :) I see you also have some nice teddies. I especially like the almost-complete ginger one!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments about my piggies!

MrsSuzy

Cavy Slave
They are all so gorgeous :) And @Mastershroom your piggies are super gorgeous too.

Edit: I see your're from Frankfurt :) I was born in Wiesbaden, which is fairly close!

Tomoko

Cavy Slave
Thank you MrsSuzy! Yes Wiesbaden is close. You grew up there because from a military family? We have alot of US Military, but i see you live in the UK now.

MrsSuzy

Cavy Slave
Thank you MrsSuzy! Yes Wiesbaden is close. You grew up there because from a military family? We have alot of US Military, but i see you live in the UK now.

Not quite :)! My parents emigrated to Germany from Portugal in the late 60s, met there and got married and lived there 20 years. I'm Portuguese, was born there and now live in UK, lol.

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone :) And awesome picture mastershroom! Haha, i def. have to try that with one of the non preggers. Taking funny pictures of guinea pigs is my favourite.

Here some pictures of my piggies

Blackfoot: The white/beige/black pregnant teddy - the name because she only has one black foot the rest is skin colored. She awaits 3 piggies very very soon, check my pregnancy thread out for more pictures of her

Squirrel: The brown rex-teddy whos female but not pregnant. I called her Squirrel because when i gave her to my autistic 5 year old nephew he immediately said "Eichhörnchen!" which is german for squirrel :)

Uboot: The brown normal-haired male of the group, he likes to lick the female pigs face and chin for some reason and he is named "Uboot" which is german for "submarine" because sometimes he moves on the ground like a snake, so he looks like he has no legs and then makes the mating sound which sounds very deep and reminded me of a moving submarine for some reason.

Milka: The black & white normal haired female, she is also pregnant, with 2 babies, she still has 2 weeks to go. She is very shy and likes to bite me gently everytime i come near her. when i got food shes not shy anymore. She likes to sleep in the hammocks and somehow looks like a rat :) - She is named "Milka" because you probably know the german chocolate brand "Milka" which people here automatically combine with cows, and she looks like a rat with cow-details. - I took Milka immediately because the breeder i got her from said that nobody wants her because shes "ugly" ): - She has weird eyes, but i have a soft spot for weird things :)

You guys have a complicated language. But thats awesome :p

Tribble79

Cavy Slave
Gorgeous Gorgeous pigs!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.