Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Do you prefer rabbits or guinea pigs?

lexeelayne

Cavy Slave
I have heard a lot of people asking whether they should get a rabbit or a guinea pig and there are lots of different answers, because there are a lot of different experiences. I have heard from multiple people that once the rabbits get around age 5, (neutered/spayed or not) they get out of the cuddly stage and start being aggressive, but I have not really seen an aggressive rabbit, nor guinea pig...which is your preference? (if you have/had both)

piggsters

Cavy Slave
My friend had a rabbit and my other friend had a guinea pig... definitely get a guinea pig! (I also have a piggy!)

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Rabbits and guinea pigs are completely different animals each requiring a different type of care and commitment. They are not equal in care or requirements like so many people think! Before deciding learn which will fit your current lifestyle and the lifestyle of your future (kids, college, house vs apartment, other animals, ect...)

Here is my list of why the are different.

1. Rabbits are smarter than guinea pigs. There are some very smart guinea pigs out there but on average I believe it is safe to say that rabbits are smarter than guinea pigs. Rabbits can be trained to do tricks and use a litter box. Most guinea pigs simply cannot do this.

2. Rabbits are mischievous animals. You put up a blockade they spend the next half an hour trying to tear it down. They know there must be something good behind it! Like nummy wires to chew! For guinea pigs you put up a blockade and they just accept that is where their space ends. I have one guinea pig that will chew or try to push his way through but if he doesn't make it in the first few tries he gives up.

3. Rabbits chew!! Some more than others but nothing is safe from rabbit teeth. Carpet, wires, base boards, whatever it is most rabbits need to be trained NOT to destroy it. Guinea pigs generally leave these things alone. They just do not have an interest in gnawing a hole through your drywall.

4. Rabbits need more space. They are bigger and build differently. They also need enough space to stand up and it helps if they have multiple levels to jump on. Guinea pigs just need one flat continued space. They don't seem to really enjoying sitting on top of things but they can use multiple levels.

5. Rabbits need more attention than guinea pigs. Rabbits seem to be more sociable towards humans than guinea pigs. They need and want attention from their owners. Most guinea pigs only crave human attention if that human comes bearing food. Out of all the guinea pigs I have had over the years only 3 sought out human attention if you didn't have food.

6. Guinea pigs need a guinea pig friend, rabbits can be happy with just a human friend but do better in pairs. If you work, go to school or are gone for long periods in a day a companion is a must for a rabbit.

7. Rabbits smell more than guinea pigs. Something about rabbit urine just smells worse than guinea pigs. More ammonia probably.

8. There is no such thing as guinea pig proofing your house. For free time guinea pigs will be happy running around your kitchen or in a blocked off area elsewhere. They do not need free range or a whole room just a big space for them to run around and play. Rabbit proofing is a whole house or room undertaking and for some rabbits it can be a constant battle as the rabbit figures out how to undo your rabbit proofing and you need to out think the bunny.

9. If I were to rate the level of care a guinea pig requires on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the most care, 1 the least) I would put them on a 4.5. They need daily attention and require a special diet, they require a big cage that needs daily cleaning but they are still relatively easy to care for. They do not require training and if you are busy one day and can't spend much time with them they are still pretty happy being guinea pigs all on their own.

10. If I were to rate the level of care a rabbit requires on the same scale I would put them at 7 or 8. Rabbits require all the same things as a guinea pig plus training, free space, rabbit proofing, toys, neutering and other vet care, etc.

The above list is my personal experience and opinions on rabbit care vs. guinea pig care or at least the biggest differences.

Here are a few threads you should probably read through:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...it-info-needed!

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...0pigs%20rabbit

piggsters

Cavy Slave
Rabbits and guinea pigs are completely different animals each requiring a different type of care and commitment. They are not equal in care or requirements like so many people think! Before deciding learn which will fit your current lifestyle and the lifestyle of your future (kids, college, house vs apartment, other animals, ect...)

Here is my list of why the are different.

1. Rabbits are smarter than guinea pigs. There are some very smart guinea pigs out there but on average I believe it is safe to say that rabbits are smarter than guinea pigs. Rabbits can be trained to do tricks and use a litter box. Most guinea pigs simply cannot do this.

2. Rabbits are mischievous animals. You put up a blockade they spend the next half an hour trying to tear it down. They know there must be something good behind it! Like nummy wires to chew! For guinea pigs you put up a blockade and they just accept that is where their space ends. I have one guinea pig that will chew or try to push his way through but if he doesn't make it in the first few tries he gives up.

3. Rabbits chew!! Some more than others but nothing is safe from rabbit teeth. Carpet, wires, base boards, whatever it is most rabbits need to be trained NOT to destroy it. Guinea pigs generally leave these things alone. They just do not have an interest in gnawing a hole through your drywall.

4. Rabbits need more space. They are bigger and build differently. They also need enough space to stand up and it helps if they have multiple levels to jump on. Guinea pigs just need one flat continued space. They don't seem to really enjoying sitting on top of things but they can use multiple levels.

5. Rabbits need more attention than guinea pigs. Rabbits seem to be more sociable towards humans than guinea pigs. They need and want attention from their owners. Most guinea pigs only crave human attention if that human comes bearing food. Out of all the guinea pigs I have had over the years only 3 sought out human attention if you didn't have food.

6. Guinea pigs need a guinea pig friend, rabbits can be happy with just a human friend but do better in pairs. If you work, go to school or are gone for long periods in a day a companion is a must for a rabbit.

7. Rabbits smell more than guinea pigs. Something about rabbit urine just smells worse than guinea pigs. More ammonia probably.

8. There is no such thing as guinea pig proofing your house. For free time guinea pigs will be happy running around your kitchen or in a blocked off area elsewhere. They do not need free range or a whole room just a big space for them to run around and play. Rabbit proofing is a whole house or room undertaking and for some rabbits it can be a constant battle as the rabbit figures out how to undo your rabbit proofing and you need to out think the bunny.

9. If I were to rate the level of care a guinea pig requires on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the most care, 1 the least) I would put them on a 4.5. They need daily attention and require a special diet, they require a big cage that needs daily cleaning but they are still relatively easy to care for. They do not require training and if you are busy one day and can't spend much time with them they are still pretty happy being guinea pigs all on their own.

10. If I were to rate the level of care a rabbit requires on the same scale I would put them at 7 or 8. Rabbits require all the same things as a guinea pig plus training, free space, rabbit proofing, toys, neutering and other vet care, etc.

The above list is my personal experience and opinions on rabbit care vs. guinea pig care or at least the biggest differences.

Here are a few threads you should probably read through:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...it-info-needed!

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...0pigs%20rabbit

Woah! That's quite impressive.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
I have heard from multiple people that once the rabbits get around age 5, (neutered/spayed or not) they get out of the cuddly stage and start being aggressive, but I have not really seen an aggressive rabbit, nor guinea pig...which is your preference? (if you have/had both)

What these people say is not true.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Yea Inle_Rabbit is like the expert on rabbits :) ;)

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Wow. The only thing I knew about rabbits is that they smell more. I had a friend who had one and kept him in the garage because of the smell. It wasn't enough to do touch up jobs daily like you can for gps. While rabbits are very cute and so soft, the list just sealed the fact that I won't ever own one. I'll just admire from afar.

They sound more difficult than cats and dogs!

Artista

Cavy Slave
Yea Inle_Rabbit is like the expert on rabbits :) ;)

The user name sort of gives it away. :D Glad there's an expert on rabbits here to help people who have them or are thinking about getting one. If you notice, you don't see rabbits in pet stores, well at least the Petcos and Petsmart type stores here. I guess here's the reasons!

lexeelayne

Cavy Slave
Wow this was all helpful thanks everyone!! (I am not considering getting a rabbit, just curious) would you say rabbits in general enjoy to be held or not? I have heard so many different things but I am thinking it greatly varies depending on your rabbit and where it was raised, where it is housed, etc

lexeelayne

Cavy Slave
@Artista I have been to one PetSmart where they had rabbits in the tiniest cages and I felt so bad for them. I say there was at least 30, all in separate cages, no bigger than an average "store-bought" guinea pig cage. I was always curious why they were selling rabbits only on that day.. hmm....

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Rabbits in general do not like to be held.

lexeelayne

Cavy Slave
@Inle_Rabbit interesting... I have always wondered why. I know they are prey animals but why do other rodents that are prey animals have no problem with it?

stray hares

Cavy Slave
I'm a rabbit person, currently living in the only place I know of that rabbit are illegal as pets (Queensland, Australia). So... I have a lot of guinea pigs. I do love guinea pigs, but rabbits are my "spirit animal" I guess (haha). My experience of rabbits is this: they are not really "cuddly" pets in that they're somewhat a lot like cats in that they have to want to come to you for pats and attention. Some rabbits will happily sit on a human lap and allow themselves to be stroked, but others will hop away as soon as they can. I've never heard of a rabbit magically becoming aggressive at age 5. Rabbits, both male and female, need to be neutered. And depending on where you live in the world, sometimes vaccinated. Inle_Rabbit's list is awesome, and I agree rabbit pee is stinkier but I imagine with regular cleaning of their kitty litter smell isn't much of a problem.

I love rabbits because they're subtle (they're usually very quiet, unlike piggies!), very intelligent, they can be litter trained usually, they can be left to hop around the house provided it's bunny-proofed (a big 'if' sometimes!). They are very, very naughty at times.

I'm hoping the law will change here so I can legally indulge myself in my love of bunnies, but until then (or I move interstate) quirky, funny, lovely little piggies it is. :)

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
@Artista yea I've noticed that the only pet store around me that sell rabbits is super pet. My PetCo and Petsmart don't.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
I prefer pigs over rabbits. Ive never been a rabbit person and all the rabbits I met (except one) were evil towards me. Im ashamed to say it but Im afraid of rabbits because of my friends rabbit. It has kicked/clawed at me and bit my other friend. They just kinda weird me out now I guess...

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I've never had rabbits but from what I've heard I don't think I want one. But they are still cute and will always love them but I just don't want one. I think my favorite breed is the lion head rabbit. I just love their manes they look like little lions. (hence the name lol)

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
I agree with all that Inle-rabbit said, with one exception from my experience.

I find that my piggies are more smelly. My rabbits don't smell at all, and their cage doesn't smell either. I change the litter box every 4 days or so, but have gone a bit longer. Still no smell.

Piggies, on the other hand, tend to get a smelly cage. If I don't change out potty pads every other day and change the whole thing every 7 days, it really smells. So I find that piggies are... well... smelly piggies.

I think, though, that the trick with rabbits is knowing how to set up a cage to my advantage. I use wood pellets in their litter box and top it with hay a couple times per day. My rabbits are also free range all day. I've been keeping indoor rabbits as an adult for over 25 years, so it may be that I just have it down to a system. I have not kept piggies for very long.

@lexeelayne, Inle is correct that rabbits just don't tend to like to be held. You wondered about why 'other rodents' don't respond the same way. Rabbits are not rodents. They are lagomorphs. So that may play a part??

@PiggieWigglies, it sounds like your friend's rabbit needed to be fixed. Hormonal rabbits can be aggressive. That is why they often need to be fixed -- not just to prevent pregnancy, but to control that hormonal behavior.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Wood pellets do help a ton with the rabbits but I still think my bunny smells more than all 4 of my guinea pigs put together. Not that she smells so much that I would ban rabbits from my house, I just need to change her box every other day to keep the smell in check while the guinea pigs can go as much as a week. I do use wood pellets in the bunny's box. In my opinion rats and especially mice smell way more than rabbits.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.