Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Scab, bite mark??

GPlove94

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I was doing some lap time with one of my guinea pigs while doing their daily inspections. I felt around his fur and came across a scab. They have been fighting and rumble strutting a lot since one of my other guinea pig has reached puberty. I didn't notice any blood shed during their fights though, I was wondering if maybe the other piggie pulled the other ones skin out while pulling the fur and thats what caused the scab? He isn't scratching excessively either and he isn't having any major hair loss. Besides all of that dominance behavior they're very tolerable while eating and calmly take turns at the water bottle. They're are pretty happy piggies popcorning and running about the cage and they do have free access to free range any time they want and a an unlimited supply hay room. When will they stop fighting and start playing with each other like get use to?
image.jpg

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Looks like a nip to me. You'll need to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected or abcess. Boys need a lot of room and you might end up having to divide the cage while they go through puberty.

GPlove94

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Looks like a nip to me. You'll need to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected or abcess. Boys need a lot of room and you might end up having to divide the cage while they go through puberty.

Thanks!! Is there anyway you can post some pics/links of examples for abcess and infections?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
An abscess will generally be under the skin and not particularly noticeable from the top unless you're just looking for it. And they tend to form more readily from puncture wounds like bites than from scratches.

But in general, any injury that is reddened, painful, swollen, hot, and/or oozing is likely to be infected.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.