Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Boars fighting outside of cage

LZank

Cavy Gazer
After losing my last piggie Harry in April, my vet asked me to adopt a boar (Cinnamon) after one of her clients surrendered him. Cinnamon is only 2, so I thought that he could use some company, so I got another little boy - Pumpkin. For the past couple of weeks they have been getting along great. Then, last night, I took them out to clean the cage (3x4) and put them into a smaller cage. After a few minutes, they were in a ball squealing. I snapped my fingers and gave them a firm "hey" and they separated immediately, however Pumpkin had two little nips, one of which was bleeding quite a bit. I put them back in their usual cage but Pumpkin seemed scared and kept running to the opposite side of the cage from Cinnamon. Overnight, I put Pumpkin in the upper level and moved his food & water up there, and he has stayed ever since. He has a ramp to get down, but hasn't. I'm not sure whether to just leave it, or to try to reintroduce them & see what happens. Any suggestions? Was this an isolated incident because they were put into the smaller cage and in unfamiliar territory?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I would give them a buddy bath and put them right back into the lower level. The smaller cage may have done it. How big was it? If it was a small store cage, that would do it. next time use the bath tub.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, it could well have been small, unfamiliar territory. It's never a good idea to place two boars in a small area, no matter how well bonded they seem. Some will do ok, but most won't. The next time you have to clean the cage, put one of them in the smaller cage and one in a laundry basket or a box.

Ditto [MENTION=27327]lunarminx[/MENTION]. Try a buddy bath, clean the bottom level of the cage thoroughly, and put them back in. Don't allow them access to the upper level until they're getting along. See https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html for information on how to do introductions.

LZank

Cavy Gazer
Thank you both so much! I'll give it a try!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.