Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Layla- Pregnant Sow

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
Got some more pics that do show how HUGE she is! I am supporting her tummy a little bit in this pic to show the weight that she is putting on underneath as well as on her sides. She seems quite a bit bigger than some of the sows I have seen that are pregnant. Maybe she will have a larger litter? I am not sure, but if anyone has had a pregnant piggy, please post pics because I need something to compare her to. IMG_2574.jpg

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
Poor girl...she looks uncomfortable. Keep us posted!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Just do a google image search for "pregnant guinea pig" and you can see lots of photos.

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
Good idea @foggycreekcavy ! I feel really sorry for her @deardulcie . Being that big would be uncomfortable. I just want her to have the babies so she can go back to popcorning hard and running at 100 miles per hour!

deardulcie

Cavy Slave

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
No babies yet! I am not sure but I think her pelvic bones may be separating. I have been having a bit of trouble feeling them but I tried again today and something felt a little different. She also seems to be less active but I think this may be because of her size.

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
Keep us posted, and good luck!

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH the suspense is killing me! Everyone thinks I am crazy now because she hasn't had her babies yet. I try to calmly explain to them, "I don't know the exact date that she got pregnant, only that she was in with a male for three weeks before the owner realized that she had mis-sexed her guinea pigs. Also, guinea pig pregnancies can vary from 59 to 73 days. She still has three weeks before we know that she is not pregnant and I take her to the vet." But my parents say, "I don't believe she is pregnant until she has the babies." "I know she is big but maybe you are feeding her too much." "The kicks that we can all feel could be breathing or heart beat." All my friends and family say, "Don't get your hopes up, she probably would have had the babies by now if she was pregnant." I am second guessing myself now, thinking, "What if they are right, what if she isn't pregnant and I am just imagining things?" Maybe because I am just a 13 year old they don't trust my knowledge.

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
don't feel too bad...I'm 51, and mistook a gassy pig for a pregnant one!

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
Oh that must have been quite embarrassing @deardulcie ! But probably for the best, as she didn't have any complications.

I am really second guessing the fact that Layla is pregnant now. Even though she could have her babies in the next two and a half weeks, I guess I am just impatient. I swear I can feel kicks, but I don't know for absolute sure that they are kicks, because I have never felt them before. She has put on a lot of weight, but maybe in her old home she wasn't fed well enough? She looks like a very large pear, but maybe I am imagining things because at other times she just looks like a normal piggy? I am split between pregnant and not pregnant. For anyone who has had a pregnant pig, is second guessing common when they are near the due date or you weren't positive when she got pregnant? By looking at the pictures and reading my description, would you say she is pregnant?

On the bright side, I found 14 grids and 20 connectors today for $20 (Australian Money). If you didn't know, it is very difficult to find grids in Australia because NO shops sell them and postage is hundreds. There are eBay sellers but you pay around $40 for only twenty grids. I also got a huge sheet of corflute (coroplast) in Bunnings for only $12 and it is about 3 metres by two metres! I have extended my cage to a 2 1/2 x4 attached to a store bought cage with two 1x2 lofts (which are currently out of order until I put corflute and a ramp on them). I have been using a tarp and wood shavings at the moment for the base but tomorrow, I will build her a fancy corflute base and I may try some fleece as my grandma gave me a fleece blanket because she knows I have been thinking about giving it a go. So happy, and can't wait until I can get my guinea pigs all together in my huge cage (if I can get my girls to get along and when Layla has her pups and they have been rehomed)! They will popcorn like mad! I am sure Layla is happy to have the biggest cage to herself while Siska and Bagel stick it out in a large indoor hutch, but she has to learn to share one day! Siska and Bagel can't wait until she has her babies so they can move into the luxury c and c too!

Sorry for rambling on, cage extensions are so exciting and I feel like you guys here have the best knowledge and understand guinea pigs like I do!

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
Also, I was told that she was in with a two males for three weeks (as the lady thought that the two boys were girls, *face palm*), so is there any possibility that she is not pregnant? I have read that female piggies come into heat every 16 days? I am just curious, because if she is definitely pregnant, I will know not to relax and stop stressing that something might go wrong. Maybe I should take her for a vet visit... but I won't if it is not necessary.

Nickersss

Cavy Slave
Also, I was told that she was in with a two males for three weeks (as the lady thought that the two boys were girls, *face palm*), so is there any possibility that she is not pregnant? I have read that female piggies come into heat every 16 days? I am just curious, because if she is definitely pregnant, I will know not to relax and stop stressing that something might go wrong. Maybe I should take her for a vet visit... but I won't if it is not necessary.
She looks VERY similar to Raven shortly before Raven gave birth. I'd say she's 100% preggers. Have you been able to feel any movement in the belly? That was the only way I was able to verify that Rave was pregnant, I lightly put my hands(kinda like I was saying grace @ dinner) under raven, without picking her up, and I felt movement in both palms and on my finger tips, 3 days later she gave birth to the babies.

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
Ahhhhhhhhhhh ok @Nickersss ! Yea I can definitely feel movement, and I am even more convinced today as she is really quite huge. She is staying in her hidey more now and not coming out to eat food at all, but this has only been going on for a few hours. Is this normal or should I be worried? She is eating and drinking if it is right in front of her, but she doesn't want to move if she doesn't have to! She will still run away from my hand if I move to fast, so I am guessing that nothing is wrong. I will post pics!

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
iPod 3 204.jpgiPod 3 213.jpgShe has the whole 'beached whale' look going! I am convinced now!

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
Be extremely careful to keep her calm eliminate any stresses. And do not try to handle her. If she does not want to come out, bring the veggies and hay and water to her. Keep a close eye. Sounds like she is very close. Good luck!

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
Positive thoughts for a safe, quick delivery.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
We are all waiting for good news. Hoping all goes well.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Do you actually weigh her? Do you know for sure she is gaining weight? Have you considered that she may have ovarian cysts?

gigiroxstar

Cavy Slave
Yes, ever since I have come to this site I have started weighing my piggies @foggycreekcavy . I don't have the weights at hand right now, but I believe she has gained about 400-500 grams. I have considered ovarian cysts, but I am pretty sure she is pregnant now because of her size. She has got even bigger! What should I look out for for cysts? Just in case!

paws2tickle

Cavy Slave
u said u felt movement and she is looking pear shaped :) she looks preggy 2 me...all the best 4 a safe delivery

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.