Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching Best shampoo for an itchy pig?

HannahN

Cavy Slave
I DON'T think he has mites. He is a teddy and I have noticed he is quite itchy. I have heard that the teddy breed is more susceptible to dry skin, is this true? I adopted him almost 2 weeks ago, and the foster mom said his last bath was 2-3 months ago. Should I give him a bath? Is there a soothing and non-irritating shampoo I can get to help his skin a bit? I am going to take him to a vet also, just to double check this is not mites, which I do not believe it is.
Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I believe a lot of people with teddies rub cold pressed virgin coconut oil into their skins to help with the dryness. Ask @foggycreekcavy about this.

HannahN

Cavy Slave
Does this shampoo look ok for him? It's all natural and organic. I think he just needs to sooth and I think he needs a bath so I thought might as well try this out. Does it seem safe?
Mad About Organics All Natural Cat / Small Animal Oatmeal Anti-Itch Shampoo 4oz (broken link removed)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's probably ok. But any shampoo is going to be somewhat drying. If you think he needs a bath, why not just bathe him in some warm water, dry him with a towel, and rub some coconut oil into his coat and skin.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.