Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece First time sewer, not sure what to buy

pouty

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I'm about to purchase a Brother CS60001 and materials.

Problem is I have never sewn before. I have never even stitched a button.

Despite endlessly lurking and watching videos, I am still unsure I have everything I need.

I think I found everything, but I would really appreciate if you guys peeked my shopping cart before I purchase. I need a little guidance.

Am I missing anything (I have fleece and I'm ordering uhaul pads)? Am I buying anything I don't need? Thank you in advance!! :)

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
i like the lil tomato cushion :)

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
I second everything spy9doc listed. For long pins, I recommend buying ones with colored balls on the ends--it makes them so much easier to find when you accidentally drop one!

First sewing machine, so exciting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pouty

Cavy Slave
i like the lil tomato cushion :)

ty!! I thought it was so cute

Great choice for a machine! It is reasonably priced and works great for sewing all things piggy.

Not sure what you need the QuiltPro cutter for? Also, are you planning to embroidery the finished items? If not, definitely eliminate those items. Also, as you sew for a while, you will discover that you will use certain items repeatedly and a "sewing kit" is not going to have them.

Items you will use:

1) Sewing shears - probably the most important item after a good machine - get a good, sharp pair that can handle fleece + uHaul (I buy mine at JoAnn's) - I use both the large and a medium-small pair
2) Large spools of thread - poly/cotton or polyester
3) Extra bobbins for the machine
4) Long pins
5) Size 16 ballpoint needles - for fleece
6) Seam ripper
7) Tool box - works great for a sewing kit
8) Hand sewing needles - a variety pack is o.k., but be sure that the needles are large/long enough to use on fleece
9) Flexible "cloth" measuring tape
10)Thimble to fit the middle finger of your dominant hand - for hand sewing - it is used to push the needle through stubborn fabric; avoids putting holes in your finger ;-)

There are some good tutorials on YouTube......and some downright awful ones. Here are some you might find useful:

How to Make Cozy Sacs and Cuddle Cups
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSXmzaMC5OU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo-6KOTOvmY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssTSLs9hW0k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut7jC4FZFtw

Have fun! And, remember "measure twice, cut once"
;)

This is such an informative post, thank you so much for taking the time to write all of this!! You gave me more help than I expected.

I have a question about spool! Will all spools be compatible with my machine or do I need to buy ones that specifically list my machine in the description?

I second everything spy9doc listed. For long pins, I recommend buying ones with colored balls on the ends--it makes them so much easier to find when you accidentally drop one!

First sewing machine, so exciting!

Noted, I'll definitely get some colorful ones :) thank you!!

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
spy9doc has this covered, I'm just gonna add that the word "sewer" made me laugh. When read, it makes me think toilet water and ninja turtles, not a person who sews (though apparently it is a usable word in this context).

librarychick

Cavy Slave
I'm a mediocre sew-er, but I've learned a few things.

I agree that you should definitely look for some sewing classes. I'd love to take some, but there aren't any offered in my area. I learned to sew from my mum, she used to make all our halloween costumes, matching dresses for me and my sisters, and a bunch of house things (curtains, pillow cases, etc.). I find the info I know usually comes back to me right after I've finished sewing a seam wrong, lol.

I'd suggest going to a sewing/fabric store before you buy your machine. Ask if you can 'test drive' a few, and see how simple they are to thread and use. If you've got a place nearby that does sewing machine repairs go visit them too - they might have older models for sale at a discount AND will be very comfortable with telling you how they run. Even if they don't have anything, knowing the people who can give you a tune up is very useful. (I cheat and use my dad...but my sewing machine is 30 years old.)

As far as supplies, extra bobbins are a necessary thing - especially if you want to use different colored threads with different fabric colors. As far as I know they're all standard - at least I've never oopsed and bought ones that didn't work!

I'd also get a wax pencil. TBH I use a sharpie on my fleece, but I'm also careful and experienced enough that I remember to leave seam allowances (even if the pattern doesn't mention them), and to only 'color' on the wrong side of my fabric. If I'm making anything for myself I ALWAYS use a wax pencil or chalk to mark the lines rather than pen or sharpie. I can handle putting together a cage liner, but I'm much less confident on anything more complicated than a pillow case. ;)

If you can't find any sewing classes near you think about buying a basic sewing book - even look for old ones at thrift stores! The info is largely the same (as far as how to fit something, put a pattern together, etc, less so for how the machines work.). I have this one: (broken link removed) (but my version is about 40 years old ;) Thanks Grandma! lol )

pouty

Cavy Slave
You're most welcome! By spools, I think you are referring to the thread?

Most machines use a standard thread unless you are doing fancy stitching, in which case your pattern/directions should list it specifically. Most of the time the thread will be called dual duty or all purpose.

Do yourself a favor and take some sewing classes so that you can get a headstart. It will save you endless frustration and make the process enjoyable vs. it being somewhat of a nightmare. I've been sewing since I was a child.......and that's a very long time ago! I once made three-piece suits, but now I primarily use my machine for making piggy items and for mending.

I have two older, more complicated machines, but the Brother CS6000i is the machine I purchased when I started sewing piggy items and I've been quite happy with it for my current needs.

Have fun with your projects!
Youre so experienced ! I've never even considered sewing before I got my piggies..and I only got my first one in December and my second 3 weeks ago. I'm really new to all of this! But im so excited to make stuff for them.

I apologize if my vocabulary is wrong. I say spools because that's the word I kept seeing on Amazon.
This is the most inexpensive one that I found with my sewing machine's name in the description: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00WGA74C4/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AD0H00BFS4J28

Will any other spool set work with my machine or does it have to be one that mentions my sewing machine?

spy9doc has this covered, I'm just gonna add that the word "sewer" made me laugh. When read, it makes me think toilet water and ninja turtles, not a person who sews (though apparently it is a usable word in this context).

Lololol I can see the confusion. I don't know anything about sewing so I probably made
up that sewer word.

I'm a mediocre sew-er, but I've learned a few things.

I agree that you should definitely look for some sewing classes. I'd love to take some, but there aren't any offered in my area. I learned to sew from my mum, she used to make all our halloween costumes, matching dresses for me and my sisters, and a bunch of house things (curtains, pillow cases, etc.). I find the info I know usually comes back to me right after I've finished sewing a seam wrong, lol.

I'd suggest going to a sewing/fabric store before you buy your machine. Ask if you can 'test drive' a few, and see how simple they are to thread and use. If you've got a place nearby that does sewing machine repairs go visit them too - they might have older models for sale at a discount AND will be very comfortable with telling you how they run. Even if they don't have anything, knowing the people who can give you a tune up is very useful. (I cheat and use my dad...but my sewing machine is 30 years old.)

As far as supplies, extra bobbins are a necessary thing - especially if you want to use different colored threads with different fabric colors. As far as I know they're all standard - at least I've never oopsed and bought ones that didn't work!

I'd also get a wax pencil. TBH I use a sharpie on my fleece, but I'm also careful and experienced enough that I remember to leave seam allowances (even if the pattern doesn't mention them), and to only 'color' on the wrong side of my fabric. If I'm making anything for myself I ALWAYS use a wax pencil or chalk to mark the lines rather than pen or sharpie. I can handle putting together a cage liner, but I'm much less confident on anything more complicated than a pillow case. ;)

If you can't find any sewing classes near you think about buying a basic sewing book - even look for old ones at thrift stores! The info is largely the same (as far as how to fit something, put a pattern together, etc, less so for how the machines work.). I have this one: (broken link removed) (but my version is about 40 years old ;) Thanks Grandma! lol )

I can try to find a class. I've been asking all of my friends and coworkers for help but not a single person I know has any experience with sewing.

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
Do you have Joanns near you? My Joanns always has fliers for the sewing classes they host in store. (I've never attended one myself but it's a start.).

The staff may also be able to help with the other supplies. I learned to sew as a kid on my grandma's machine from the 1950/60s, and it finally died on me in college. Even though I was an experienced sewer, the new machines were foreign to me and my Joanns staff was super helpful. Bobbins look a lot different now!

pouty

Cavy Slave
Do you have Joanns near you? My Joanns always has fliers for the sewing classes they host in store. (I've never attended one myself but it's a start.).

The staff may also be able to help with the other supplies. I learned to sew as a kid on my grandma's machine from the 1950/60s, and it finally died on me in college. Even though I was an experienced sewer, the new machines were foreign to me and my Joanns staff was super helpful. Bobbins look a lot different now!

There's one about 6 miles from me. I'll book a class when I can get to my computer. Ty!!! :)

pigger123

Cavy Slave
You'll definitely need fabric shears, pins, and a seam ripper, as well as something for measuring. A regular ruler can work but a flexible measuring tape is very handy and you may also want one of those wide clear plastic rulers. I always use denim needles for sewing fleece because they're stronger. You don't need embroidery thread, just get some dual duty or all purpose thread. The brand doesn't matter, they're standard sized to work with any machine. I actually use off-white thread for everything no matter what color the fabric is. Fleece is thick enough that you don't even see the thread.

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
I use the Gütermann brand of thread/cotton:
232767065.jpeg
The Brother CS6000i has a thread-spool holder on the top, so the spool just sits on it and turns while the thread unwinds as it is pulled through the machine, so any thread spool should fit:
maxresdefault.jpg
(The person in the picture is winding a bobbin - the small clear plastic spool/reel - with thread)

pouty

Cavy Slave
I checked your link, and the information simply means that the particular thread will WORK WITH your machine.......nothing else. Unless you get to a skill level where you want to attempt machine embroidery, then you don't need embroidery thread.

Let's back up for a minute......do you know what embroidery is? It is a process of creating an ornamental design with small stitches on a piece of cloth, traditionally with a needle and thread. Many machines nowadays are capable of doing these often intricate designs. As an example, it is a process by which people have pillowcases, dress shirts, and even athletic equipment personalized. It is often called monogramming as well.

I repeat: "Most machines use a standard thread unless you are doing fancy stitching, in which case your pattern/directions should list it specifically. Most of the time the thread will be called dual duty or all purpose."

BTW, I recommend that you purchase the Brother CS 6000i since you are a beginner.Older machines may not function perfectly for sewing multiple layers of fabric and the process will be more difficult than it needs to be. I chose to purchase the machine for exactly the same reasons. If you can afford the Brother (which is inexpensive by sewing machine standards) then by all means do so.
Hopefully this clears up some of the confusion. Don't worry......it's like learning a new language along with new skills and it will come with practice.

You'll definitely need fabric shears, pins, and a seam ripper, as well as something for measuring. A regular ruler can work but a flexible measuring tape is very handy and you may also want one of those wide clear plastic rulers. I always use denim needles for sewing fleece because they're stronger. You don't need embroidery thread, just get some dual duty or all purpose thread. The brand doesn't matter, they're standard sized to work with any machine. I actually use off-white thread for everything no matter what color the fabric is. Fleece is thick enough that you don't even see the thread.

I use the Gütermann brand of thread/cotton:
View attachment 79209
The Brother CS6000i has a thread-spool holder on the top, so the spool just sits on it and turns while the thread unwinds as it is pulled through the machine, so any thread spool should fit:
View attachment 79210
(The person in the picture is winding a bobbin - the small clear plastic spool/reel - with thread)

Thanks to you guys I am able to make a big purchase that I feel comfortable with. Thank you so much!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.