Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior help everytime i clean my cavies cage i see a bug that kinda looks like an earwig

TBSam

Cavy Slave
i use aspen bedding i clean every week and theres always that bug hiding int there that looks like an ear wig its smaller i think its a silver fish or a centipede but its tiny help im now gunna try news paper as bottom layer then pine as another to stop odour then aspen on top can that work and will it stop it help

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Where is your cage located?

Is it up off the ground?

Get a new bedding manufacturer.

TBSam

Cavy Slave
my house dosent have a basment it has a ground floor and and first floor altho the ground is a almost halway into the ground its not fully a basment but we did change i used different aspen now i use another company for aspen

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
Pine is NOT SAFE FOR PIGGIES. Well at least not if you can smell the pine.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
First of all, DO NOT use pine shavings.

Second, I would suggest that you completely clean out the cage, top to bottom, spray it with a DIY vinegar and water disinfectant, and then relocate the cage to perhaps another room or part of your home.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Excuse me, @CrystalCavy and @PiggyGrandma15, kiln dried pine shavings with little to no pine odor are perfectly safe. Please do NOT make recommendations unless you're very sure what you're talking about.

@TBSam, the earwig probably did NOT come from the shavings, but from your house. They live in damp areas, and may get into your house through cracks under the door, weep holes in the side of the house, or other ways.

If your guinea pig is on the floor, try elevating it on something and see if that fixes the problem.

TBSam

Cavy Slave
ok ill be trying carefresh and i cant re locate them cause my mom dosent let me i might put them in my room cause we will start using carefresh and that helps with odor and people calm down i used a tiny layer of pine and on the top a thick layer of aspen

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I've used pine bedding for many years with no problems. I know now to make sure I get the kind with no odor, since joining the forum. I've tried fleece, but my pigs burrow and it drives me crazy, so I had to stop that. And Carefresh just wasn't cost-effective. I'd rather spend that money on good pellets and veggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.