Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners New Hello Kitty Liner

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
So I've been meaning to make some new liners. I finished two yesterday and today I switched out the top cage.

DSC00528.JPG

Isn't it cute! I bought the fleece from yourfleece.com. It has uhaul as the absorbent layer. The pigs love it and I am officially uhaul liners only now. No more stinky towel liners for me, though I am keeping them for vet travels and lap time.

SpazNMeos momma

Cavy Slave
That fabric is so cute! Makes me want some girl piggies!

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
I only have the one girl (Eve), Romeo, our neutered boar, has to put up with girlie things, but I did try and make it more manly with the extra green on the left. Poor boy, he is surrounded by girlie stuff.

Personally if you want girlie stuff in the cage go for it, just add a touch of manliness every once in a while. ;)

Gigabyte

Cavy Slave
Is it expensive to use fleece? I used puppy pads and carefresh with my pig because I find it easier. With the pads (he never chews them or anything), I can roll it all up and throw it away! How often do you change this? Do you have to wash it?

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
It is expensive at first, but the start up cost is all there is to it.
I change my cages every 4-5 days but on average its 4 days. If I find time I change it out every three days. I wash it in my washer with no issues, I make sure all poop and hay is removed from the fleece.

I use uhaul pads under the fleece to soak up the pee. You can buy each online or in stores (depending on where you live uhaul might be easier online).

I sew so I made liners for my cages. Its really easy to use, just sweep the fleece clean of poop and hay, take out and place in the washer. No muss no fuss.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me or search the forum, there is LOTS of information on it.

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
i also use uhaul pads and LOVE them. but i still have been putting 2 layers of towels under the uhaul pad, then top it with the fleece. how many layers of uhaul pads do you use? i try to change the bedding every week - and am trying to keep it that way and not have to clean/change it more frequently than every 7 days. ;)

PinkBelly

Cavy Slave
Isn't it cute! I bought the fleece from yourfleece.com. It has uhaul as the absorbent layer.

I am really happy with yourfleece.com! I shipped it to my work and I got the order next day when I choose standard free shipping since their company is also in Los Angeles. :love:

But I wanted to ask. In the picture you have a 2X5? Is 1 Uhaul enough to make two liners? (I am horrible at calculating measurements). I am planning on making two 2x5 cage liners and two 2x2 and just wanted to know how many Uhaul pads I would need. Also did you wash the Uhaul pads 3 times before you sewed it together?

Sorry for asking so many questions but Thank you!

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
I personally use one layer but change my cages 2-3 times a week.

A 2x5 for uhaul pads with a double layer (gives to more time in between washes) will take up one pad. I would get three for what you want to do.

I wash both the fleece and the pad 3-4 times each then sew them together.

SpazNMeos momma

Cavy Slave
I only have the one girl (Eve), Romeo, our neutered boar, has to put up with girlie things, but I did try and make it more manly with the extra green on the left. Poor boy, he is surrounded by girlie stuff.

Too funny one of my boars is named Romeo but we call him Meo for short. I am litterally the only female in my house so my husband and son would complain about the boys having girl stuff :( The dog is a boy, the piggies are both boys and even the hermit crab is a boy! I am completely outnumbered!lol

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Personally, I think using 2 layers of u-haul furniture pads underneath 1 layer of anti-pill fleece works best. I do a full cage cleaning once a week, can even push it to 9 days sometimes ! However, I do a quick vacuum of poops at least once, sometimes twice a day.

Someday I hope to make my own liners...but do wonder how long the drying time is, but the convience of doing it this way attracts me, like you said, CanadianComforts..no fuss, no muss !:cool:

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
So I've been meaning to make some new liners. I finished two yesterday and today I switched out the top cage.

Isn't it cute! I bought the fleece from yourfleece.com. It has uhaul as the absorbent layer. The pigs love it and I am officially uhaul liners only now. No more stinky towel liners for me, though I am keeping them for vet travels and lap time.

Yes, it most certainly is cute !! It looks AWESOME, CanadianComforts, really awesome job !!:cool:

Pinkguinea

Cavy Slave
Can someone please tell me how to make a new thread of my own? Sorry, I'm new.

coxbrea151

Cavy Slave
Too funny one of my boars is named Romeo but we call him Meo for short. I am litterally the only female in my house so my husband and son would complain about the boys having girl stuff :( The dog is a boy, the piggies are both boys and even the hermit crab is a boy! I am completely outnumbered!lol

it's the opposite at my house. it's 2 girls, one boy, for humans, 2 female cats, 2 female guinea pigs, 2 male-1 female-1 unknown hermit crabs, 1 female hamster, and most of the fish are females. Lol. We treid to buy male guinea's, but we didn't know that Petsmart only has one gender at one end of the city and the other gender on the other end. Dave has to settle for the hermits, and he thought that they were trantula's in shells!

coxbrea151

Cavy Slave
Can someone please tell me how to make a new thread of my own? Sorry, I'm new.

Pinkguinea, you just have to click "start new thread" on the top of thechosen disscusion forum. Hope this helped!

Travelingirl916

Cavy Slave
I love your new liner Erin! It looks very cute! I also like liners with uhaul absorber.

Could you please share how to make the hay holders. I ordered some custom ones from Jens Custom Crafts, but they will take several months to arrive. I would really appreciate if you could post some directions for me to make them so I can have some until then. I would also like to sew some for the rescue Orange County Cavy Haven.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.