Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Warm Does replacing pigloo with hidey hut provide warmth and better ventilation?

aranelchan

Cavy Slave
I have two tunnels and a pigloo in my 2x4 cage for 2 piggies (Chloe, a short-haired girl, and Randell, a longer-haired boy), with a layer of fleece over towels for bedding. They seem to like the tunnels for running through and do sit in them from time to time, but they love to huddle together in the pigloo far more. However, Chloe has started to find the edges of the fleece, dig it up, and then run around and hide under the fleece.

My guess is that she's cold because she only does this at night when the indoor temperature dipped to as low as 14 degrees Celsius in recent days, so I thought that to fix this I'd switch to fleece flippers and replace the plastic pigloo with one of the large hidey huts from the Guinea Pig Market website. Unfortunately, I only just remembered reading criticism here concerning pigloos in that they have poor ventilation and allow one piggie to trap another. Therefore, I have two questions, though perhaps I should have asked these before placing the order:

• Does the same criticism apply to these hidey huts, considering that they still only have one opening, even though it is bigger?
  • Will the hidey hut actually provide warmth such that Chloe won't have the urge to dig under the fleece for protection against the cold?
Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The hidey huts aren't a serious a trapping problem because they bend, allowing the pig more options for getting out. They also don't have the narrow tunnel. If your girls like snuggling together, the hidey huts will probably be fine.

However, since your pig has discovered burrowing, I'm not sure anything will stop it short of nailing down the edges of the fleece. You could try just putting a piece of fleece in the cage and see if she'll burrow under that rather than under the cage liner. Under the cage liner, I'd worry about her ingesting threads from the towels.

aranelchan

Cavy Slave
bpatters said:
The hidey huts aren't a serious a trapping problem because they bend, allowing the pig more options for getting out. They also don't have the narrow tunnel. If your girls like snuggling together, the hidey huts will probably be fine.
Goody. I hope mine arrives soon then! :)

bpatters said:
However, since your pig has discovered burrowing, I'm not sure anything will stop it short of nailing down the edges of the fleece. You could try just putting a piece of fleece in the cage and see if she'll burrow under that rather than under the cage liner. Under the cage liner, I'd worry about her ingesting threads from the towels.
Ah, I see. It has gotten worse, actually: now both of them are burrowers! Yeah, until the fleece flippers arrive I'll try with a second layer of fleece, and maybe see if I can clip the layer of fleece liner to the blankets.

aranelchan

Cavy Slave
Good news: I skipped the clips and just put an additional fleece throw on top, and thus far they have happily been burrowing under the fleece throw while leaving the fleece bedding alone!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sorry, my bad. But I've seen other people use the report binder spines to go over the fleece and the coroplast to hold the fleece down.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.