Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels YAY!! For the new mansion!

trazdik

Cavy Gazer
Hello !I just put my two piggies Gomer and Beauford in a 2x5 extra large wide loft.I have a cavy kitchen for them and was told to put it under the loft but I can hardly reach in there to change food /hay/water. Has anyone had any luck with it on the upper loft? Thanks!

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
Quick-detach connectors (available through parent store site). Can't speak highly enough about them.

One set of them was enough for our 2x2 loft. One on each corner. I lift the loft fully off every day to sweep. (Eeww! Pardon the poop! *grabs dust pan and broom*)
e8503abe79d9220e532747c008ff44ae.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

trazdik

Cavy Gazer
So it works for your piggies up in the loft? I still need to get a few things for the new cage so I will check out the connectors .I was thinking of putting their houses under the loft.....They sure do poop alot hey????

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
Yup. I apparently lost track of time and didn't get the morning sweep done.

Actually used the 2x2 loft (with an extra grid piece zip tied in place and the coroplast undone so it laid flat) as the travel cage for the last vet visit.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

trazdik

Cavy Gazer
Thanks ! Im going got try it out

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Hello !I just put my two piggies Gomer and Beauford in a 2x5 extra large wide loft.I have a cavy kitchen for them and was told to put it under the loft but I can hardly reach in there to change food /hay/water. Has anyone had any luck with it on the upper loft? Thanks!
I think, I could be totally wrong, but I think it was [MENTION=35161]Guinea Pig Papa[/MENTION] who has a different litter box on the upper level. I have the cavy cafe and we just have to add extra grids to make the loft a 2x2 so I can move the cafe up there. I will asap though!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think, I could be totally wrong, but I think it was [MENTION=35161]Guinea Pig Papa[/MENTION] who has a different litter box on the upper level. I have the cavy cafe and we just have to add extra grids to make the loft a 2x2 so I can move the cafe up there. I will asap though!

Wasn't me Lol my piggies have 24 square feet of my living room. All one level. :)

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Wasn't me Lol my piggies have 24 square feet of my living room. All one level. :)

Well now, that's pretty darn awesome, but not what I was looking for! lol Maybe it is [MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION]?

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
It could very well have been me. Tell me what your questions are and I'll do my best to answer them.

I believe the conversation was about a litter box/feeding area on the second level and I was trying to remember who showed me that great photo of it. I thought I remembered you expanding the second level loft to be a 2X2 hang over with the litter on the second level. [MENTION=40161]trazdik[/MENTION] has the cavy cafe under a 2X2 and is struggling to reach it.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
How do I save that thread? We are going to expand our cage like yours.

I have no idea.....you may want to PM one of the Moderators. If you want to PM me with an email addy, I can sent you some additional pics that might help with the construction. I can tell you now that it takes a lot of grids to build it as I built mine. The cage has a bottom and it and the grid stand were built separately and then zip-tied together. My cage is so sturdy that I could sleep in it if I so desired.

The overhanging loft is a great solution when you have limited space in a corner and some of it would be unusable anyway. It also permits easy access to the main level.

The secret to making an uber strong and secure cage is to use my favorite craft tool.....a high-temperature glue gun. Every place a grid joins a connector, you put a couple drops of glue in the connection. You will notice that I have a doorway cut in the grid where the ramp joins the loft. Also, my loft is just 12 squares high all around. It's plenty tall and is just more aesthetically appealing. Be forewarned, however, that using a Dremel to smooth all cut edges is time-consuming, and the cut grids are difficult to get into the connectors.........but it can be done.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just bookmark it.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Just bookmark it.

That's too easy. I was thinking more along the lines of "What if they want to save that thread/page to their hard drive and perhaps print it to refer to?"

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Well, [MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION] I went looking for a way to bookmark it on this site instead of with my browser and got very confused!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.