Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Small Pet Select: 2nd vs 3rd & hay waste

ThatGirlMarie

Cavy Slave
So, my first foray into hay buying, I did the SPS 2nd cutting timothy hay. The piggies love it! However, as we go through the box, I'm noticing a LOT more waste as we move into the middle and bottom of the box. There's more brown hay in this part too. They eat a good deal and they'll still eat a lot of what ends up on the cage floor from the rack, but I sweep it up usually every night otherwise they pee in it and lay in it (spot clean poops throughout the day).

Is this kind of waste normal for the bottom of the box or did I get a kinda bum box? I am about to order more because we need it, but my last order shipped 2/6 and arrived on 2/10 I believe. Now it's 2/25. Is this a lot of hay (5lb box) for two piggies to go through, or about right? I can try a bigger box this time - definitely willing.

Also, would the 3rd cutting be a better option? It says it's leafier and I think without the coarse stems which makes up the majority of their waste, they may eat more of it. Since their old hay was horrific, I don't think they'll be picky about not eating this hay at all, just they were picky about eating parts of it.

Thanks in advance for advice!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
My piggies loved 3rd cut, I bought it by the 45lb box from kms hayloft but I did use to get the 2nd cut hay from sps. Mine wasted a lot or I did by throwing huge pile in the cage. I didn't notice a difference of waste between the two cuts.

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
How do you know which cutting it is from SPS is? I got a 10# box. And what is the difference between them?

ThatGirlMarie

Cavy Slave
It's also in the name when you order...you select 1st 2nd or 3rd... @mamaduck71

ThatGirlMarie

Cavy Slave
Ah, I order directly from the SPS website! I wonder if it's cheaper on amazon...

4cavies

Cavy Slave
I always noticed a ton of waste from any timothy I ever got and there were parts that my pigs just flat out would not eat. They'd toss it to the bottom of their cage and pee on it. I switched to the 50lb box of orchard from SPS (my 4 pigs go through about 10lbs a month, so a 5 month supply) and it is awesome. There has been no waste, my pigs LOVE it and eat every last strand and it is a whole lot less dusty than timothy.

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
Ah, I order directly from the SPS website! I wonder if it's cheaper on amazon...

Not sure about the price but you might get free shipping with $35.00 order

ThatGirlMarie

Cavy Slave
Maybe I'll give the orchard hay a try - thanks!

I have prime so I'd have free shipping anyway. Also, this piggy blog has a code for free shipping from SPS directly - yay!

4cavies

Cavy Slave
I never experienced too high of a shipping cost from SPS... I think I used to pay $3 before I started with the 50lb orders that have free shipping.

ThatGirlMarie

Cavy Slave
Oh yeah, it's only 3.50 and usually I use a free shipping code.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.