Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables More creative vegetables?

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
I feel like im feeding the same old boring foods and i want to spice things up and have more creative vegetables to feed. So what are some more different foods that guinea pigs can eat.

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig loves blueberries so I give a little bit most days

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig loves blueberries so I give a little bit most days

Blueberries (and any fruits for that matter) should only be fed at most 3 times a week, due to the high sugar content.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@labgirl5 I'd go with once a week personally, the risk of stomach upset from sugar is just too big a one for me, and the risk of diabetes isn't one I'm taking either. Fortunately my little ladies don't like most fruit, so I don't feel like I'm depriving them of anything.

Mine love chicory (belgian endive), and herbs make a great treat here and there. Parlsey and dill were very popular with my girls pre low calcium diet.

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
@labgirl5 I'd go with once a week personally, the risk of stomach upset from sugar is just too big a one for me, and the risk of diabetes isn't one I'm taking either. Fortunately my little ladies don't like most fruit, so I don't feel like I'm depriving them of anything.

That's why I said 'at most' three times a week. :)

labgirl5

Cavy Slave

That's why I said 'at most' three times a week. :) Anymore could/will cause issues in the future.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Honestly, I actually wish my girls liked fruit more. It'd be easier to give them a weekly treat of fruit, because as it is, they only seem to go mad over anything that's high in calcium...and they're on a low calcium diet. Of course. I think I'll try strawberries now they're in season...

GuineaBoys

Cavy Slave
One of my pigs goes absolutely nuts over fennel anise, and really likes parsnips. Both are only special occasion since I can't stand the smell of anise. As far as things that don't smell awful and that both really like, I would have to say blueberries, watermelon, and parsley....so all the stuff you cant really feed often =P Oh, they do seem to like green beans, but it makes me nervous feeding those for some reason and of course they always look forward to their green bell pepper.

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
Im feeding red and yellow bell pepper, an occasional cherry tomatoe small amounts of kale, spinach and carrots and a mix of ledduces.

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure what veggies you are feeding but my pigs love Radicchio. I also give them 1-2 Sugar Snap Peas twice weekly. I guess my pigs get a pretty boring veggie selection too. Lettuce, Zucchini, Green & Yellow Peppers, a Baby Carrot and a Cherry Tomato, that is pretty much their staple daily selections. They really don't care much for fruit. In the summer I'll give them a small piece of melon or a few blueberries once weekly.

Hmm I never knew guinea pigs could have blue berries I think I'll try and feed her some.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Occasional parsnips are fine, if your pig will eat them.

Artista

Cavy Slave
IMO boring is good. It means you're not having to think about is this too high in sugar, calcium, etc. My girl gets the same ole in the am and pm. I don't eat fruit hardly at all so she gets none as well. Her treats are the same ole too: seed heads and watermelon rinds.

Eventually whatever new you come up with that's ok will not be new anymore. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I just went through a big digestive upset with my girl. Even though I was scraping off all the watermelon off the rinds before freezing them, it turns out that even that had enough sugar in it from some juice left over that her poops were coming out really weird and scary. I stopped it for a month and we're back to normal now. So here's an example of what seems to be ok sugar wise as in how can a watermelon rind have sugar in it when you scrape the watermelon off create havoc. Now she'll get it 2 x week average with careful watching of the poops.

So it you're doing things that are not ok daily to give, it's always best to watch the poops daily even if it's on this list pinned here that says 2-3 x a week is ok.

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
IMO boring is good. It means you're not having to think about is this too high in sugar, calcium, etc. My girl gets the same ole in the am and pm. I don't eat fruit hardly at all so she gets none as well. Her treats are the same ole too: seed heads and watermelon rinds.

Eventually whatever new you come up with that's ok will not be new anymore. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I just went through a big digestive upset with my girl. Even though I was scraping off all the watermelon off the rinds before freezing them, it turns out that even that had enough sugar in it from some juice left over that her poops were coming out really weird and scary. I stopped it for a month and we're back to normal now. So here's an example of what seems to be ok sugar wise as in how can a watermelon rind have sugar in it when you scrape the watermelon off create havoc. Now she'll get it 2 x week average with careful watching of the poops.

So it you're doing things that are not ok daily to give, it's always best to watch the poops daily even if it's on this list pinned here that says 2-3 x a week is ok.

Thanks a whole bunch that really helped (and I guess I will be looking alot closer at my pigs poop lol)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.