Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Best way to bond 4 guinea pigs?

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
I have 4 guinea pigs (Isabelle, pepper, Willow and Juniper.)

We tried bonding them all together in a room Isabelle and pepper have been in.... (I was not thinking that day..)

That was about 2 months ago.

Ideas for bond them?

Feel free to ask question's!!:)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It doesn't matter if they've been in a certain room before, it's about scent etc. For example, if you put down a sheet/towel/whatever for them to run on, make sure it's freshly washed. No hideys either for first time bonding. Any toys, dishes etc should either be new, or again, freshly washed. Multiple piles of favourite veggies serve as distractions. You can also go down the buddy bath route if this doesn't work.

Amanda Branch

Cavy Slave
When I bonded mine I put them in a playpen with a fresh laundered towel with hay, food, hooked a water bottle to it, and some veggies and left them in for the day (with me in the same room of course) and things went wonderfully. Like Princess_piggy said if that doesn't work a buddy bath should be the next step.

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys! What is the buddy bath? :confused:

Amanda Branch

Cavy Slave
A buddy bath is when you give them all a bath together so they can bond over the horrible experience together. I had to do that with my males. To say the least it worked!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
In addition to that, you're also removing all their scents at once, and they coming out all smelling neutral.

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
So they all get together now? [MENTION=29900]Princess_Piggie[/MENTION]

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
and @Amanda Branch

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
If you do the neutral territory introduction again after 24 hours and they get on okay, then you can let them live together.

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
Okay, Can you explain what the steps are? Tips?

:confused:

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I explained how to do it in post #2. If things are going well after a few hours, put them in the cage with some more piles of veggies.

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
Since I have 4 GPs they all have a buddy and if the buddy bath does not work will they recognize there original buddy's?

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
Sorry if I am asking to many question's @Princess_Piggie [MENTION=29557]Amanda Branch[/MENTION] I am just really nervous I don't want any of my pigs to get hurt like last time....

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@GuineaPigParty, there's absolutely no guarantee that the original pair(s) will live together peaceably after you try to introduce them all. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. It's one reason why seasoned guinea pig owners are often reluctant to upset the apple cart if it's not necessary (such as when they have two pairs and one pig dies, leaving them with a loner they'd like to try to bond with the remaining pair).

Read www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm -- the introductions section is about halfway down. Also read https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html. But if you don't have a cage large enough for four pigs, it's an exercise in futility -- they'll always squabble. Click on the Main tab at the top of this page for recommended cage sizes, and remember that bigger is always better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.