Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Two new baby piggies not getting along with older one, i have had for two years

ChubbyMonroe

Cavy Slave
Hello guys,
I wanted to post this for as I needed questions answered about bonding my two new baby guinea pigs with a older one I have had for three years.

Recently we have introduced them wrong, as they still need to be settled in, now one of my guinea pigs(Persie) does not get on with the older one(chubby Monroe) but the other little one is just curious and wanting to know everything.

How should I deal with this situation? Every night they chatter their teeth at one another - they have a split cage.

Also should I introduce Monroe to the curious one first b cause they seem to get on perfectly.

Chubby got bitten by Persie for Persie's own protection.

I think they do not get on is because Persie used to be the leader over the other one and now they need to find which place they are at now.

Any suggestions on bonding or getting them to become friends? That would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for reading.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, the first obvious question is, how large is their cage?

And, I've just come from reading your introduction thread on the two little guys. Sadly, I wish you had read more here before picking them up.

While it can't be said that boar trios NEVER work, it CAN be said that they almost never work. Your two new additions are both well into puberty, and the two had already settled their hierarchy BEFORE you introduced them to Chubby. Now they're trying to work it out again, and they likely never will. Two boars is great, but three just doesn't work. I've tried it myself. Now you've upset the pecking order between the first two, and there's a good chance that they may never get along again as well. You could very well end up with all three pigs not getting along.

Your best bet is to separate the two new guys and keep them on their own, it a 2x5 grid cage, and get a 4th boar for Chubby in a separate cage. You COULD leave Chubby alone in the divided part, but he'd be better off with a friend.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto to @Guinea Pig Papa. If you'd done your homework before you got the third pig, you'd have known that a trio fails about 95+ percent of the time. You can also wind up with three solo pigs, none of which will live with another pig.

I recommend either rehoming the third one, or getting a fourth and having two cages with a pair in each one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.