Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Single Piggy

Xovyn

Cavy Slave
Not sure where to post this thread, so I apologise in advance if it needs to be moved by a moderator.

So, I was planning on getting two boy piggies from a local rescue and tonight I was looking on their page again and it seems that one of the boys has been updated to the status of "needs to be only pig, do not try to pair up".

Would it be a truly terrible thing to get just him and give him a full, spoiled life as the only piggy in my house?
I know just about everyone says to keep them in pairs or more but I assume that these rescue people know their stuff. I mean, they have a set of boys listed as needing to stay as a pair and housed together because they're siblings and have always been together.

They actually have a few boys listed as needing to be housed alone, and as it is I only have the one Midwest Interactive habitat... and this is my first guinea pig.

I'm kind of thinking that I want to get a single... just because so many people want pairs and I feel bad for these guys because they may be overlooked just because they prefer to live alone.

So... any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
They have more than one marked as needing to be housed alone? That strikes me as a little odd. I thought it was super rare to find piggies that couldn't get along with others. You should ask them why they have him separated.

But yes, if you find a pig that absolutely HAS to be alone.. Then go ahead and adopt it if you feel you're better suited for just one. Just don't adopt one that can get along with others and not get it a friend, you know?

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Some pigs need to be alonew, but I find that kind of odd that they have a lot listed that way. I wonder how hard they try to pair them up.

Two pigs is always better then one. Always.

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
Can you contact them and ask them what ages and genders they have tried to pair him up with? I have a boar that just could not go with other boars. He is happy as a pig in well, hay lol with a sow now that he is neutered. I wouldn't think much about it but the fact that they have a few listed like that raises a red flag to me. I get that some pigs have to be ony pigs, but it was my understanding that it was not common at all.

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
If you really like him, why not? i have heard of it before where one pig just wont ever get along with anyone so they have to be alone. as long as you give him lots of attention i cant see it as a problem. if the rescue has already tried to pair him and it didnt work. then theres not much else they can do. did they try to pair him with a spayed female? a local rescue to me will spay females that dont get along with any other female to match them up with boys. maybe the same thing applies to a boy who doesnt like other boys.

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I like having two piggies, twice as many cuddles. But it seems odd that they would have so many listed as singles. You could always get him neutered and get him a girlfriend, I have heard people having pigs that couldn't go with boars but made excellent pairs with a female.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
I know exactly what rescue you are talking about and I honest to God think the reason they have so many single boars is because they keep their pigs in pet store cage. They have almost all single pigs and it really annoys me. I would personally seriously question the validity of the 'single pig' status. I bet money that it's a lack of cage space.

Xovyn

Cavy Slave
Here's what they say about the little boy I am interested in: "He would like to be somebodies one and only as he is a guinea pig who likes living alone. Do not try to pair him up with another guinea pig as we have tried and it has not worked out...but he loves people."

Of 14 boys they have 8 listed as needing to live alone.

I'm thinking that all of these piggies are there, needing to be alone, because they were having dominance struggles in their previous homes and were given up for a more friendly piggy instead. One actually states that the kid got bored with him so he was sent to the rescue.

It could be possible that this is where the "single" pigs end up.

And I could always get the one I want and then after six months or so get a second habitat, house them in the same room and they could play together out of cage everyday.
I had considered getting any boys I get neutered (my exotic vet only fixes boy pigs, they wont spay females as it's too invasive and I guess easier to neuter a male), which should theoretically help with aggression.

It's just not specific if they just wont share housing or if they are flat out mean to other pigs.

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
8 out of 14?!? Something must be going on. That is too high of a number in my opinion.

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
Eight out of fourteen is an awful lot...

Are the cages they house them in super small? Something doesn't feel right to me.

As for getting a boy fixed to help with aggressive behavior; I don't believe that works with pigs. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it would make no difference.

Giving play time to too pigs that don't like each other will most likely cause unneeded stress on both of them.

Xovyn

Cavy Slave
It could be that they are housed in smaller cages, but *I* don't want to risk bringing two boys home to one cage and then have brawling going on while I sit in a corner and cry, hating myself for not taking the recommendation of the people that are supposed to know these pigs they've been trying to place; all the while making the boys that I was warned to keep separate miserable while I try to figure out another habitat option.

I'm really thinking I might go with just one pig. Mainly because the one I really like says he needs to be a single.

The other options are:
1) Call them when I am ready to get the pigs and ask if they can try housing two "singles" I have my eye on together and see how it goes
2) Get the one pig I want and then a few months down the line get a second habitat and a second "single" pig - connect the habitats and if they dont get along separate the habitats
3) Ask them to put two of the generic 'happy boy' pigs I am interested in together and see how they do -- but this won't let me get the one I really really like.

Pft. This is hard stuff!

Xovyn

Cavy Slave
8 out of 14 may not be as high as you think if you take in the reality of numbers.
Lets say that there are 10,000 male pigs in Colorado, and 1 in 100 boys needs to live alone. That's what, (I am terrible with math) 100 pigs? Is it really hard to believe that 8 of the 100 "single" pigs in one state would wind up in the same rescue? Considering only two pigs are currently at the DumbFriends League?

I agree that it seems like a lot, but when you take into account the sheer number of guinea pigs it's really really small. Those 8 could represent 800 other, perfectly happy pigs.

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
I understand your point, and I'm not trying to argue with you at all. I'm just curious to their reasoning just like everyone else is.
I'm pretty sure I found what rescue you are talking about though and if it is the same one, then they have one of the pigs Cocoa listed as "has always lived as a single and who must remain as a single." and that makes no sense to me whatsoever. You know what I mean? But again, I dont know if that is the rescue you are talking about. If not, could I get a link? I'm just super curious ;)

Anyway, I do hope you find the right pig or pair for you. Which one were you most interested in?

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Look, as I've said, they keep their pigs in cages that are far too small and then wonder why they fight. They put very little into getting the pigs to get along, and give up at the first sign of trouble. I have been to their rescue, I have talked to them at least 20 times through email, over the phone, and in person. I used to get a lot of advise from them until some people on the site helped me to see all the things that are so wrong at that rescue. I run a rescue in boulder, and my rescue is far from perfect but I learn and adjust and that is something they haven't done in about 30 years.

If they put those pigs in proper cages they could get along, they simply choose not to. I have two pairs of boys right now, all surrendered except for one (born to a pregnant rescue pig), all came from different families and never lived with another pig before coming here, and of different ages, and both pairs are amazing and happy. It is more then possible, they are just lazy.

missguineaginns

Cavy Slave
I think I know the rescue you're talking about since I've looked at different rescues here. Could you perhaps get one of these singles pigs, wait a certain amount of time and get used to his personality, and them see if you can introduce a friend, maybe of the opposite gender ( of course he would have to be fixed.)?

Xovyn

Cavy Slave
@Okiesmokes
Sounds like you found the one, (broken link removed) . The "singles" I am intersted in are Burgham, Moray and Minky, but I am super in love with Jorge. All four are just so cute!!! I love the Abyssinian coats and I really love the fur colors of grey, white and black.

I did just finish typing up and sending an e-mail to them asking why, exactly, those three boys need to be singles. I will let you know what they tell me when they get back. And all this might change. I might check back in three weeks or so when I have everything and am ready for pigs and those four could be gone!

I didn't mean to upset you, Colorado Cavies, but I don't think anyone here has all the facts about that rescue. It is possible that these boys can't be housed with others. It is equally possible that they are just not good at introducing pigs to eachother. It's possible that those pigs are monstrous to other pigs. It's possible that those cages are too small.

I have a Corgi - SUPER loveable outgoing breed, that loves my best friend's Carin terrier, but he hates my cattle dog. Absolutely resents his presence in the house.

All I am trying to say here is that some animals have strange quirks. My lobster has eaten all of his tank mates except the small female betta. It's odd.

I get that this rescue is raising some red flags for some members here. And maybe they are playing it safe by having these boys listed as singles, and it's just going to take an experienced cavy owner with the time and the space to introduce them to another pig.

I am a new cavy owner. I don't know what I would do if I brought home two boys and they started fighting and couldn't even have play time together, let alone live together.

I also get that the more the merrier (and emotionally and mentally healthier). But if a pig is stressed out by other pigs, that's never going to be a happy situation for the pigs.

I am sorry if I caused some arguing and stuff, I just wanted to know if a single pig could still be a happy and healthy pig if I pampered it and spoiled it and loved it and cuddled it all the livelong day.

I just wanna be a good cavy mom and do right by my pigs. :)

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
I understand your point completely. And you're right, we don't know the facts just yet.

Jorge and Burgham are especially adorable! I also think Benny is very cute. I sort of have a thing for silver pigs :D

Xovyn

Cavy Slave
Yeah... I saw Benny and went "SOLID GREY PIG!!! OMG!!!"

Have to admit, I'd be happy with Benny and Jorge, if it turns out that those others really do need to be totally alone. Unless I break down and get one of those.
I need to stay away from there. I just fall more and more in love Jorge when I visit.
And he's been there for a couple of weeks... so I worry that when I am all set up I'll go and he'll be gone, lol. Cause sometimes that's how it works.

Going to see about ordering the pigloo and stuff this weekend. Here's hoping (I don't earn the monies, I just spend them... lol)!

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
I would skip the pigloo in the midwest cage. It eats up SO much space in there! I would try an alternative hidey or one that is like a bunk bed/hammock. That way you also don't limit their running room.

Xovyn

Cavy Slave
That's a good point, @T_Licious . Would just a cuddle cup work if I made one with a roof? I thought the whole idea behind pigloos was that they feel safer when they are completely hidden from sight.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.