Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello everyone! Thought this would be a great start before becoming a Mommy!

HelloKittyLover

Cavy Slave
Hi all :)

Boyfriend & I have recently decided we would like to have our own guinea pig. I've ALWAYS wanted one, but with a dog in my house and a mom who wants nothing to do with them besides in the basement, we decided boyfriend's house would be best. He is 30 seconds away from me, so it is not a problem.

I have recently been trying to "adopt" one around me, but no luck. As a matter a fact, I thought I had one in my hands, but their Craigslist was flagged when I went to go check up on them again. What a shame.

However I went to PetSmart today, and I *know* many of you do not approve of such a place. But when I want, a cute little black coated piggy caught my eye, happily walking around, chewing, and staring at me so happy he had my attention. It was funny too, because when I walked around the store and came back for 5 minutes, he was laying in his little igloo. He definitely had my heart, and quite honestly, I want to bring him home SO bad!

I know I have to watch out for a few signs. I have yet to put my C&C cage together, before I bring him home. However I may request to put him on "hold". Would they do that? Also, will they let me hold the guinea pig? I'd appreciate many tips, since I may end up choosing the one in PetSmart.. but please don't flame me! :sorry:

HelloKittyLover

Cavy Slave
Hi there!

Really? That'd be so nice if I could find someone here. I live in Toms River, the "Jersey Shore" to be exact. I'd prefer if they were around the area. I would really love a short haired cavy.

Travelingirl916

Cavy Slave
Rescues in New Jersey:
https://www.guinealynx.info/rescue_organizations.html#NJ

I would urge you to resist the Petsmart piggy and choose the adoption route. There are many pigs near you in need of homes. If you let the rescues know what type of pig(s) you are looking for they can help you find the perfect one(s).

Also, guinea pigs are sociable creatures and it is best that the live with at least one other guinea pig.

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
I don't know of any rescues in NJ but I just want to encourage you to have a plan in case things don't work out between you and your bf. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer....just a suggestion. My bf and I got a dog, cat and guinea pigs throughout the 3 years we were together and then we got engaged and have been engaged for almost a year now lol. But I always had a plan in my mind about what we would do with the animals if we didn't work out :)

HelloKittyLover

Cavy Slave
Rescues in New Jersey:
https://www.guinealynx.info/rescue_organizations.html#NJ

I would urge you to resist the Petsmart piggy and choose the adoption route. There are many pigs near you in need of homes. If you let the rescues know what type of pig(s) you are looking for they can help you find the perfect one(s).

Also, guinea pigs are sociable creatures and it is best that the live with at least one other guinea pig.

Thanks for the info.

I am definitely leaning more towards adopting. I will keep checking up on this Craigslist post. I think the post got flagged simply because it was a pet post. The cavy is being given away for free because the owner has no more time for them. And the town is like 10 minutes away from me. I definitely think it's my calling, and it was just posted today. I would appreciate if the user would post pictures like I asked (or texted), but I guess it IS New Year's, so I'll cut them some slack. But they'll definitely be hearing from me tomorrow morning, hah.

HelloKittyLover

Cavy Slave
I don't know of any rescues in NJ but I just want to encourage you to have a plan in case things don't work out between you and your bf. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer....just a suggestion. My bf and I got a dog, cat and guinea pigs throughout the 3 years we were together and then we got engaged and have been engaged for almost a year now lol. But I always had a plan in my mind about what we would do with the animals if we didn't work out :)

Hehe, thank you for bringing this up. Yes, we've discussed this. Because definitely, anything can happen! While my boyfriend & I have remained strong for 3 years now, I'm sure I should not be taking anything for granted so I definitely thought ahead in that aspect as well.. although, I definitely hope it will never happen!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I would be surprised if there were only one craigslist post for guinea pigs. Wherever there are pet stores selling guinea pigs, there are people wanting to re-home theirs.

People on craigslist mainly post their guinea pigs in the Community section under Pets. But you can sometimes find them in the General for sale section.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.