Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Covers C&C cage cover/lid DIY

Karleen Garcia

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask if any here has made their own covers to prevent other animals from getting to your piggies. I tried looking online and youtube but they were not much help. Can anyone advise me on how to do this? I would also appreciate pictures if possible. Thank you everyone! I will update my profile as well once I officially finish the cage and our guinea pigs come home.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Closet shelving makes an awesome lid. There are plenty of pictures in the Photo Galleries.

Karleen Garcia

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I will certainly look at those. I have a lot of let over grids as well.

lissie

Cavy Slave
See these galleries:
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I will certainly look at those. I have a lot of let over grids as well.

C&C cage cover/lid DIYC&C cage cover/lid DIYIf you are going to use grids for the lid, reinforce it by using extra to build up the strength of the lid. I also had the extra lid make a lip to on both sides and I never had a problem with opening the lids.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave

If your cage isn't on a stand, the grids make a nice stand. A 2 grid high cage brings the pigs up to your level and they are not quite so skittish.

Karleen Garcia

Cavy Slave
View attachment 81737View attachment 81738If you are going to use grids for the lid, reinforce it by using extra to build up the strength of the lid. I also had the extra lid make a lip to on both sides and I never had a problem with opening the lids.

How did you do the lip? did you use a bar in the middle to do this? I'm sorry if this is dumb question. Also did you connect the grids with just zip ties or how was this done? and i was debating whether or not to make a stand as well. I may have to buy more grids but right now i want to work on the lid
C&C cage cover/lid DIY

clmyers31

Cavy Slave
Closet shelving makes an awesome lid. There are plenty of pictures in the Photo Galleries.

I'll be doing some remodeling on the piggie cage soon. Currently I have a lid made of the grid's like shown in this string and sold on GPC site. I'd like to use the closet shelving but I'm really particular about it fitting in with my decor and matching the current cage which is black. I've never seen black closet shelving. So my question is would it be safe for me to paint a couple pieces of shelving black so they match the cage? Any ideas are appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you're only going to use it as a lid, you can paint it. Just don't let the pigs get to it to chew on it.

clmyers31

Cavy Slave
Yeah that was kind of my thoughts. And obviously, I would give it plenty of time to air out so it wont smell like paint fumes. I think before I do it though, I will install t and observe for several weeks to be sure they aren't reaching it and nibbling at it. If they really stretch out on their toes they can reach the top of the grid's.

I also thought about having them powder coated which is much more durable and won't chip easily. I think the grid's that you buy are powder coated. Does anyone know if that is correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Some grids are powder coated, some not.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
How did you do the lip? did you use a bar in the middle to do this? I'm sorry if this is dumb question. Also did you connect the grids with just zip ties or how was this done? and i was debating whether or not to make a stand as well. I may have to buy more grids but right now i want to work on the lid
View attachment 81739

I used a ton of zipties. I buy them at home depot by the bag of a 1000 8inch. I off set the extra grid if you can see in the photo. I would build both sides and then connect them. Front and back had the extra lip from the extra grids but they would still flip fine. Also as you can see from the photo the base part of the lid was separated by the space of a hole.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
View attachment 81739
C&C cage cover/lid DIY

I also used the wonder bars to help support the lid, the are pretty cheap and well worth the money! https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/candc-wonder-bars

Karleen Garcia

Cavy Slave
@lunarminx thank so much for your help! very much appreciated

Karleen Garcia

Cavy Slave
Here is my cage finished with a lid. Of course still waiting to do the bedding and everything else. Must say I am proud of myself! Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions. They all helped!
C&C cage cover/lid DIY
C&C cage cover/lid DIY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.