Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Breeding guinea pig could be pregnant

skritters

Cavy Slave
@avengedsoph here's craigslist for the UK. right now it's the London page but you'll see down the righthand side a list of more UK cities. Granted, there aren't as many as in North America, and I don't know where you live, but it's worth a shot :)

(broken link removed)

lissie

Cavy Slave
Why do you want more pigs? Don't you already have 3 males who live in separate pet store cages? If I were you, I would look into making a larger cage for the males first. If you want more pigs, make sure you have enough room for proper-sized cages.

Kelly91513

Cavy Slave
Hi, I just wanted to add that adopting a piggie is so much more rewarding in a few ways. One being that you know the money is going to support a good cause, two being the pig could of had a bad background and you are saving that piggie from dying that way, you can give it a chance to be loved. Third being that you most likely can match your current pig to the new pig unlike at a pet store. And lastly myself being someone who has bought a store pig the first time around, mine was pregnant and they didn't even know or just didn't tell me. Then after WE endured that stress she was sick for 3 month with a URI and I racked up a vet bill of $1200.00! You would be supporting these jerks of breeders to breed more unhealthy pregnant pigs that will most likely die. You can't save them all. I know how they pull on your heart strings as my pig pulled on mine. After her having two pigs (one male, one female) I hade to separate at 3 weeks and get him a new cage. Then I wanted to get him a friend so I ADOPTED a pig that was over a hour away from a guinea pig rescue and it was the best feeling. I was able to bring my baby boy pig there and let him choose his pal. And the adopted pig had a bad past of being left in a bow with his family in a park outside. Please take my advice. Plus the rescue takes care of pigs and I knew he was healthy when I got him unlike in a pet store.

sarah0712

Cavy Slave
I got my girls from Pets at Home. They were also in the adoption section as they had previously been on antibiotics and so were a couple of months older than the ones in the shop. They're lovely girls and have been well handled. The lady in the shop had become very attached to one of them. They only asked for a donation from me so I don't know whether the money goes to the store or not.

caddy21

Cavy Slave
Hi (broken link removed),

Firstly, I am from the UK and have recently adopting two pigs after doing a lot of research.

Pets at Home are notorious for their awful treatment towards animals especially rabbits and pigs. Although, they are getting a lot better they still buy these pigs from unauthorised breaders.

Due to the lack of staff training there are often problems with sexing the pigs and as a result many people go home with pregnant pigs. Google it and you will be amazed at how many stories there are.

I will also add that this 'adoption' center they have has been proven to be used as a last resort to selling there unwanted stock. After reading some of the stuff on the net I'm not sure I want to think about the un-adopted pigs and what they do to them.

As for the adoption fee/donation this goes back to the company who make a 'good will' donation to the charity. So it goes into the companies accounts who then use the charity to tax deduct the monies owed to the tax man.

I am due back to work now so I will leave it there, but please please please consider adopting from a rescue center and keep away from these big chain stores.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
but isnt that harsh? so some other person can get her and breed her over and over?

If they're not screening so as to weed out those people, this is a pig being offered at a discount sale and not as an adoption.

ziespiggies
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
ziespiggies
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.