Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Using both

RoseCarter

Cavy Slave
Should I keep hay and pellets in cage day and night? Or just hay?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Depends on the age of the pigs. Pups under six months get unlimited pellets. Pigs older than that get a couple tablespoons a day.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I keep both. Hay is by far the most important staple in their diet, but their pellets SHOULD contain stabilized vitamin C which they need. Pigs are supposed to get 1/8th of a cup of pellets per day, per pig. Pigs should ALWAYS have access to fresh, good quality hay.

That said, I've always kept a pair of full bowls of pellets in my cage. None of my pigs have ever over eaten on their pellets.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I've always kept a pair of full bowls of pellets in my cage. None of my pigs have ever over eaten on their pellets.

I absolutely agree. My cavies have 24/7 access to pellets as well. They don't whine and beg for food if they are hungry, and I don't have to feed more than one main veggie meal per day.

RoseCarter

Cavy Slave
Thank you all. I have hay and pellets constantly. Veggies in the morning and a bit more before bed. I give a bit of fruit every other day. I'm still reading everything I can about them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.