Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Potty training with a Potty Trainer Corner Litter Toilet or a Pet Critter Litter

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs cannot be potty trained.

The corner pan is safe for them as their feet can get stuck in the holes in the grate. You would just be asking for injuries.

Edited by bpatters: @sallyvh, I think you meant "is NOT safe," right?

I don't consider the litter safe either. I believe it is clumping, which means if they ingest it, it can cause an intestinal blockage.

Also the litter is a tiny little box, guinea pigs pee a TON. Theoretically, if your pig used a litter box, I would imagine that entire box would be saturated in a day.

The best you can do is have a large, flat litter box filled with some disposable bedding. Put piles of hay in there and hope they use it some. They tend to poop and pee most where they eat and sleep so the idea is that you catch most of their output while they eat.

Last edited by a moderator:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you've got cooperative guinea pigs, you can watch to see where they pee and poop the most (usually in a corner where they eat and sleep) and put a litter pan there to catch most of the output.

If you don't, they'll pee and poop everywhere. You can't potty train a guinea pig.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
@bpatters Whoops!!! I definitely meant NOT safe! That's what I get for speedily replying on my phone.

LucyPenny

Cavy Slave
Our girls must just be really cooperative. We have fleece throughout the cage, but their hay, pellets, and veggies go in their dishes in two little plastic containers filled with bedding. About 2/3 of the poop is in the boxes but they only ever pee outside of there once every few weeks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@LucyPenny, but they did that themselves, right? You didn't try to teach them?

LucyPenny

Cavy Slave
Right, that's why I agreed that they're cooperative. The only part we're doing that helps keep them do it is swapping out the soiled bed twice daily. If their kitchen area wasn't get clean, I question if they'd be messier.

I wonder if they prefer peeing on the bedding at all because that's what they were used to before the fleece.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
If you get hideys that are too heavy for your pigs to move and keep them in the same places, that's where you'll get the most waste. Largely because they'll take food in there, and because it's where they'll sleep. 3/4 of my hideys move around, but the one heavy one always has the most poops in it and is an easy target for spot-cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eirini

Cavy Slave
Our girls must just be really cooperative. We have fleece throughout the cage, but their hay, pellets, and veggies go in their dishes in two little plastic containers filled with bedding. About 2/3 of the poop is in the boxes but they only ever pee outside of there once every few weeks.

Could you please take photo to get a better idea?

Eirini

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for your response! I have half the crate with fleece (were he likes to sleep) and half with Carefresh (were his food water toys are). Buttons goes every were!!! Though he pees only in two spots which are.... in the middle of the cage.

LucyPenny

Cavy Slave
Eirini, I tried a few times but my phone and this website aren't playing nice for pictures - drag and drop isn't working the way it should. I'll upload some pictures after I get home from work (on lunch right now).

LucyPenny

Cavy Slave
The first picture is zoomed out to show the full cage and the second is focused their kitchen.

WP_20170201_006.jpgWP_20170112_003.jpg

Ninja_N_Pinky

Cavy Slave
My piggies poop pretty much all over their cage but i do notice they will go to the "potty" area to wee. I just put their hay above the tray of litter, I didn't as such potty train them but yes i do notice that the potty area needs changing out regularly but when i do a cage clean the potty pads under the fleece have hardly any wee patches :)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
My filled my corner pans with hay which they laid in, I moved to putting fleece pieces in it over pellets and they started pooping in front of it.

LucyPenny

Cavy Slave
I just measured it and it was just under 3 inches. I believe We picked ours up from Walmart and Target - it just takes a bit of hunting around to find ones that are wide enough and have the appropriate depth (not so short that all the bedding is kicked out, not so deep that they'll have trouble going over the walls).

elewis618

Cavy Slave
I just measured it and it was just under 3 inches. I believe We picked ours up from Walmart and Target - it just takes a bit of hunting around to find ones that are wide enough and have the appropriate depth (not so short that all the bedding is kicked out, not so deep that they'll have trouble going over the walls).
Awesome! I found some at Walmart last night that I think are the same size as yours and will be perfect.[emoji5]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.