Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds What does a pig cough sound like?

4cavies

Cavy Slave
I have noticed that over four days, one of my boys, Spencer, has been making a strange noise. I have never heard a pig make it. He did it once the first and second day, three times the third and once the day before yesterday and not since. It took me until the third day to be able to figure out it was him, as I have four pigs. At first I was thinking it was a cough and it was only a few times and didn't sound like an attack or seem like he was in distress, and he looks good, maybe he was just eating too quickly, so I didn't worry too much about it.

But, I started thinking about it today and got worried, so I was looking for sound clips of guinea pig coughs and I haven't yet found one that sounds like the noise he is making. The best I can explain it is like a clicking noise (definitely not teeth chattering). It is almost like if you were to click your tongue on the roof of your mouth, if you know what I mean? Like a popping? Is this a cough or what?

Guineamama2000

Cavy Slave
I've heard our Jeffy Jeff make a noise similar to that. When he first made the noise how he did....I thought he was choking on something. It sounded like a sneeze/choke sound with a little click noise .

4cavies

Cavy Slave
It doesn't sound like he is choking or gagging or anything.... Just this little tongue popping noise. I have no idea if it is a cough or what and if I should take him to the vet :/

Guineamama2000

Cavy Slave
That's what I meant. It's like a clicking noise. If you have a vet you already ready work with, then I'd call and ask him/her first. How often is he doing it and is he still doing it?

4cavies

Cavy Slave
That's what I meant. It's like a clicking noise. If you have a vet you already ready work with, then I'd call and ask him/her first. How often is he doing it and is he still doing it?

He did it over four days. Except for one day where I heard him do it three times, he did once a day for the rest. He hasn't done it for a whole day that I have heard. I spend most of my time in the same room with them so I get a good chance to hear it. It's just strange. Like one click, but its pretty loud. At first I thought it was one of my kids doing it until I remembered they were napping. I will definitely call my exotic vet and see what they think but once I start worrying, I worry like crazy so I wanted to see if anyone else has ever heard anything like it before.

Guineamama2000

Cavy Slave
Maybe use your cell phone and make a video of him when he does it or is starting to do it. Or use the voice recorder mode on your phone. Just have it handy for when he does it. Then you can also post it on here as well to see if anyone is familiar with it.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
Maybe use your cell phone and make a video of him when he does it or is starting to do it. Or use the voice recorder mode on your phone. Just have it handy for when he does it. Then you can also post it on here as well to see if anyone is familiar with it.

I had thought of that, but it is completely random and quick. It isn't a prolonged noise or anything, just a loud quick click and that's it. But... He did just sneeze four times in the past five minutes :( I had heard sneezing lately but had thought with all four of my pigs being possible culprits the amount I was hearing wasn't really indicative of anything but it was definitely Spencer sneezing just now. Worried he has a URI :(

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Sort of like a quiet cough/choking sound that lasts a second I believe

Guineamama2000

Cavy Slave
Any change in the bedding lately? You know he has a URI or you suspect he does?

4cavies

Cavy Slave
Any change in the bedding lately? You know he has a URI or you suspect he does?

I'm beginning to suspect he might have a URI. I have been lucky with all of my past and present pigs, though and have never had one with a URI, so I am not 100% sure of signs or symptoms of one, but from what I have read and heard, I believe he is sneezing and things a lot more often than he should.

I have had him for about six weeks now and since I have had him, he has been on fleece. But now that you mention that, his symptoms started about a day after I put him on some new fleece. I got it to wick with bleach and vinegar. Once it was wicked, I washed it again with a scent/dye free detergent to make sure there was no bleach scent left. I don't know if that may for some reason be causing it. I wasn't able to smell any bleach coming off of it before I put it in the cage.

Guineamama2000

Cavy Slave
I'm beginning to suspect he might have a URI. I have been lucky with all of my past and present pigs, though and have never had one with a URI, so I am not 100% sure of signs or symptoms of one, but from what I have read and heard, I believe he is sneezing and things a lot more often than he should.

I have had him for about six weeks now and since I have had him, he has been on fleece. But now that you mention that, his symptoms started at about a day after I put him on some new fleece. I got it to wick with bleach and vinegar. Once it was wicked, I washed it again with a scent/dye free detergent to make sure there was no bleach scent left. I don't know if that may for some reason be causing it. I wasn't able to smell any bleach coming off of it before I put it in the cage.
I would use his old fleece to see if it goes away.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
I will definitely try that [MENTION=30446]Guineamama2000[/MENTION]. I hadn't even pieced that together until you mentioned it. He had been using the same fleece and liner since I have had him pretty much. I would just wash and dry it during floor time. Thank you so much for your input!

Guineamama2000

Cavy Slave
I will definitely try that [MENTION=30446]Guineamama2000[/MENTION]. I hadn't even pieced that together until you mentioned it. He had been using the same fleece and liner since I have had him pretty much. I would just wash and dry it during floor time. Thank you so much for your input!
You're very welcome. Please keep us posted. Sending well wishes and get betters to Spencer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.