Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Oxbow Western Timothy Hay

GPlove94

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
With the first hay I got from petsmart it was old nasty brown and dusty in the inside of the hay. I emailed oxbow and they sent me a replacement hay that was checked by their quality control manager and I'm impressed. After this batch of hay I prob will still order some KMS hay and pellets in August. I also found a local feed store where I can get 1/4-1/2 of a bale for $6 so I will check that out.

Heres a picture of the replacement hay

Attachments

image.jpg

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
Very nice and green! I would be weary of the farm hay, it might have mites and other bugs living in it. But KMS is awesome from what I have heard.

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
Wow what excellent customer service! that looks like great, green hay.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
Yum yum! lol

GPlove94

Cavy Slave
Yes indeed I'm very glad to have some good hay for my piggies. I'll most definitely try out KMS sure thing and small pet select later on.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Very nice and green! I would be weary of the farm hay, it might have mites and other bugs living in it. But KMS is awesome from what I have heard.

LOL...all hay comes from farms. And many buy from local farms all the time.

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
@lunarminx but stuff they keep at the barns isnt treated as the horses live outside anyway. And large bales make nice homes for bugs

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
@lunarminx but stuff they keep at the barns isnt treated as the horses live outside anyway. And large bales make nice homes for bugs

With that in mind, who wants to feed their piggies treated hay?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Fresh hay is excellent for guinea pigs. I buy fresh bales whenever I can find them with no alfalfa mixed in. My guinea pigs love it and I've never had problems with bugs.

Schmidgen

Cavy Slave
Yes indeed I'm very glad to have some good hay for my piggies. I'll most definitely try out KMS sure thing and small pet select later on.

I'm not familiar with what KMS is. Could someone send me a link or something? I am forever hitting store after store in my town to try and find green hay, and gas is expensive. If I can order it even if it cost more than at the store that would be a Big time & gas saver. Thanks

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I'm not familiar with what KMS is. Could someone send me a link or something? I am forever hitting store after store in my town to try and find green hay, and gas is expensive. If I can order it even if it cost more than at the store that would be a Big time & gas saver. Thanks

(broken link removed)

Now I have tried Smallpetselect and was very happy with it.
(broken link removed)

Schmidgen

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

Now I have tried Smallpetselect and was very happy with it.
(broken link removed)

Thank you so much, I bookmarked both pages so I can find them easily.:)

Pink Portrait

Cavy Slave
My vet said there is no difference. And I don't know anybody around here that treats their hay.

TheMuffinPiggy

Cavy Slave
I like Kaytee hay. I know some people don't like it, but I've never had a problem with it. DO any of you guys use Kaytee hay??

Agrimony

Cavy Slave
I like Kaytee hay. I know some people don't like it, but I've never had a problem with it. DO any of you guys use Kaytee hay??

I use it occasionally. I find there are more straw like/harder pieces in it typically, but really hay is hay. It is cheaper, but I find the quality tends to be less than Oxbow. Of course it varies bag by bag, including which is fresher.

GatsbyandOllie

Cavy Slave
@TheMuffinPiggyMy local Walmart actually stopped stocking Kaytee a couple of weeks ago. Now, they only carry Hartz and last week they only had the kind with sweet potatoes mixed in with it. I was concerned as sweet potato should only be fed sparingly but, my two boars LOVE the little pieces. But, this week they're carrying Hartz without the sweet potato so I purchased that instead. I LOVE Kaytee though. I usually get that and then mix it with Oxbow hay. I find that Oxbow is just too much money to purchase on a weekly basis and Kaytee is much cheaper and it's not too bad of quality at all really. My pigs love hay no matter its brand. I do like the smell of Oxbow hay better though. Kaytee's hay doesn't have much of a scent to me.

GPlove94

Cavy Slave
I actually tried kaytee its pretty good the quality of the bag varies and it doesn't have s strong aroma. Oxbow has had bad timothy hay lately. I heard farms are doing their 3rd cut this fall so I'm super excited to get some fresh 3rd cut timothy hay from KMS.

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
I just got a GIANT bag of Kaytee and it was like KMS 3rd cut. I was SUPER inpressed and sent them fan mail.

TheMuffinPiggy

Cavy Slave
But aren't guinea pigs supposed to have lots of harder pieces for their teeth? Really? My Kaytee hay smells quite nice, actually!

GPlove94

Cavy Slave
But aren't guinea pigs supposed to have lots of harder pieces for their teeth? Really? My Kaytee hay smells quite nice, actually!

It should at least be a 50/50 ratio of stems and leaves. I heard somewhere that soft hay also does a good job with keeping down teeth. I have added wood toys and chew tunnels/houses for guinea pigs to keep them chewing

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.