Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight Sow with very round tummy

waterbreathinq

Cavy Slave
Okay! SO! A couple weeks ago i bought (i know, i know. It's terrible and I know that now and if I ever get more guinea pigs i will be adopting instead) two female guinea pigs. Ginger and Apricot. They are healthy (I know I am lucky for that) but I think one of them may be pregnant? I don't know if I am being paranoid because I've searched pregnant guinea pigs a couple times and they all look extremely pear shaped and with big hips, and I also know that both of them are in fact actually females and weren't mistakenly sexed. The thing is, the only thing abnormal about Apricot is that her stomach area is extremely round. She's not pear shaped, more like an apple. If I very gently squish her tummy area it doesn't hurt her and I can only feel one lumpy thing, but I think it might just be an organ, I can't be sure though. What do I do? Should she see a vet? What do I do if she is? I've attached some photos of her so you can see what I mean. My Ginger's tummy isn't like this, hers is normal. Also, I think it might be helpful to note that I've recently started feeding them the recommended 1 cup of veggies a day, if it means anything. EDIT: i also think it would be helpful to note that she's eating and drinking a completely normal amount
IMG_6916[1].jpgIMG_6918[1].jpgIMG_6919[1].jpg

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She certainly looks pregnant. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she.

Are you positive they're both females? You've turned them over and compared the pertinent parts? Because if the other one is male, they need to be separated ASAP. She will be in heat within minutes after the pups are born, and back-to-back pregnancies are very hard on the sow and the second litter of pups.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
She could be pregnant, she could be bloated. Considering that you felt a "lumpy thing" and you bought them from a pet store, chances are, she could be pregnant. Now, I don't know much about pregnant sows as I have never had a pregnant female, but I'm sure someone else will tell what you can do. Personally, I would take her to the vet and get her checked out. I would also start giving her more food if she does turn out to be pregnant. Pregnant females need extra food for their babies. You can keep Ginger with Apricot; Ginger may help clean the pups once they're born.

Good luck. Best of wishes.

waterbreathinq

Cavy Slave
yes i am sure they are both females. thank you for the advice.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Whoop. Looks like bpatters beat me to it :)

waterbreathinq

Cavy Slave
update: We took her to the vet and she has 4 little piggies inside of her! They said she's very healthy otherwise. She's set to give birth in around a month and a half or so!

cross

Cavy Slave
Congratulations. My twinkles is pregnant . I'm so excited. Once again good luck and congratulations ������������������

cross

Cavy Slave
So. What did she have.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
OMG - I "adopted" two 1 yr old female guinea pigs that needed to be rehomed from a local pet store. One of them looks just like Apricot. We've had them about a month though and I was told they were only piggies. Off to ensure sex again and fear the worst - baby guinea pigs in a house with a kiddo :eek:hmy:

waterbreathinq

Cavy Slave
Hey guys, sorry @bpatters for all the threads, I am still kind of new to this. Anyways, Apricot ended up having 2 babies, a boy and a girl. Just a couple days ago, we were able to get a male guinea pig to be a companion for the baby boy, because I thought both of them would be able to live with my friend. However, due to unforseen circumstances with a family emergency, she is no longer able to do so. I now have a baby guinea pig who has to be moved to a seperate cage tomorrow, and another boy in the cage already. There is no possible way I can keep these boys, though I really wish I could. Do you think I should still introduce the boys, even if they may end up going to seperate homes, or? I think my only option is to take both of them to an animal shelter, because I don't think anyone else I know is willing or able to take them. I just want what is best for these boys. Any advice?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, I'd introduce them. The baby boy is going to be very lonely when you take him from mom, and it will help to have a buddy in the cage.

I'd be very reluctant to take them to an animal shelter without first trying to find a home for them. Where are you? City/state, not actual address. And look at Petfinder for guinea pig rescues -- there might be one near you that could take them, or at least list them for you.

waterbreathinq

Cavy Slave
i'm near seattle, washington @bpatters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waterbreathinq

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: i forgot to update you guys but we did end up finding a really great home for the boys and they’re SO excited to have them!! they’re first time guinea pig owners but they’ve done a ton of research and i know they’ll take care of my boys very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Congratulations, @waterbreathinq! I'm glad everything turned out so well!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.