Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sexing Babies

caitlinbenosky

Cavy Slave
they all turned 2 weeks on wednesday. but yeah, no. that was one pig.

PiggyMommyWendy

Cavy Slave
Hi Caitlin! I don't know where you are exactly on Long Island, but you can try to contact Have a Heart Guinea Pig Rescue. They have at least one foster home on Long Island (Nassau County). There is also a woman who has a small, home-based rescue out in Riverhead. Message me if you need more info. Nice to find another Long Islander here, and congrats on your babies! :)

MamaP

Cavy Slave
We got our girls from Have a Heart. They are awesome!

PiggyMommyWendy

Cavy Slave
We got our girls from Have a Heart. They are awesome!
Did you really?! Thanks for letting me know how good they are! I am definitely going to contact them when we are ready to see if they have any piggies available here on Long Island. Did you get your girls from a foster home on Long Island? Was their adoption process complicated? How long did it take you to get your girls?

caitlinbenosky

Cavy Slave
they do! [MENTION=19133]PiggyMommyWendy[/MENTION] . it's not fair lol

MamaP

Cavy Slave
@PiggyMommyWendy, I'm actually in PA. They have foster homes in PA, NJ, DE and NY I believe. It was a quick process. I dealt with Mandy and Marci. Both were awesome and answered all questions I had since these were our first pigs.

PiggyMommyWendy

Cavy Slave
Thank you, MamaP, for the helpful rescue info! I appreciate it! You're so right, Caitlin, it's not fair! It's the price we pay for living here. :(

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Even though it's possible to sex babies at birth, sometimes it's not that easy. Some baby girls have a little nub where the penis is on a male. Some baby boys are slower at developing than the others.

I wouldn't worry too much until you get to the 3 week mark. Usually by then the little boys will start behaving like males. At that point if you are still having problems, then go for help.

Regarding the photos shown--if you got something to pop out of the nub then it's definitely a boy!

And girls can be weaned at three weeks, too.

MamaP

Cavy Slave
@foggycreekcavy, thank you. My two girls have the little nub and it was confusing at first. But when I compare them to the boys you can really see the difference. The Y is prominent. It was the nub that was throwing me off. My 3 month old female has that same nub when I checked.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.