Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Piggies and Shingles

myguys

Cavy Slave
My Mom just got diagnosed with shingles! Do I need to keep my piggie away from her?

pinky

Cavy Slave
My initial thought is no. Viruses are species specific while bacteria is not. I believe shingles is caused by the chicken pox virus.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You are right Pinky. It is a form of chicken pox. It should not affect your piggies.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Shingles is caused by the original chickenpox infection never clearing out of a group of nerves. The virus is closely related to herpes, and like herpes it can get into the nerves where it's much harder to get a good immune response. So it really is a chronic infection. The same types of factors that can trigger any chronic infection can bring on shingles: stress, being sick, the immune system "forgetting" what the virus looks like because of lack of exposure to kids with chickenpox, and/or having a suppressed immune system (from steroids, organ transplant, AIDS, or cancer). The virus isn't getting beaten up by the immune system and it boils out of the nerve to make you miserable.

The chickenpox virus has been found in our closest primate relatives, the other great apes, but I was not able to find anything about it infecting rodents. So your pigs are probably safe from your mom, but make sure she washes her hands after handling them so she doesn't catch anything while her immune system is working on the shingles.

Incidentally, not all viruses are species specific. Rabies infects any mammal, influenza is a bird virus that's learned to sneak into mammals, measles evolved from a cattle virus called rinderpest, which recently became the second ever pathogen eradicated by humans. HIV was caused by humans eating chimps infected with SIV, which was itself a scramble of two monkey viruses that met up in one chimp that killed and ate both species of monkeys. That being said, chickenpox seems to like only great apes.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
HIV was caused by humans eating chimps infected with SIV, which was itself a scramble of two monkey viruses that met up in one chimp that killed and ate both species of monkeys.
Where did you find this? Do you have a link? Just curious because I've never heard this particular theory about HIV...

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
I listen to a podcast called This Week In Virology, which I totally recommend for anyone who is interested in viruses. There is a core of professors(a virologist, a parasitologist, a science journalist) and they sit and chat about viruses, and get other virologists in who are experts in certain viruses to ask them about 'their' virus. I am on my phone so I can't really go digging in the past episode transcripts and notes for the references tonight, but I will look tomorrow. It should be in one of the HIV episodes.

(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.