Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Storing Hay?!

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Heres the situation I need help with guys.

We are moving to a new house (FINALLY) and will have both a basement and a garage. :D

I want to start storing the hay in one of the two to save space upstairs in my room. I buy 15lbs of Kleenmamas right now, but will likely get the 25lbs next time since I'll have space.

I need ideas for what to get in order to store the hay elsewhere. For the bit I keep on hand near the cage, it will be in a plastic bin probably. I can poke holes in the top if necessary for ventilation.

I was thinking like a big bin, but I don't know where or what to really get for 25lbs of hay. Links, and/or pictures would be fantastic. And something with as little mess as possible of course, :)

Thanks Everyone.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
I just poke holes in cardboard boxes and seperate the hay in those. Then I tuck the boxes under the table where the C&C cage is.

There's also mesh laundry baskets that stand up.

I'm not sure if a plastic bin would have enough ventilation with the only holes being in the top.

aislynn99

Cavy Slave
Hi Kimberly! I typed out a long reply and then realized it was you :) Congratulations on finally getting a house!!!

I won't bug you again with telling you what I use, which is probably too big for you unless you're still interested in local bales. I found an even less expensive source right by my mom's house, and I go there weekly. I'd still be happy to meet halfway, or even near campus (any excuse to go to Mike's Place is a good one, ha!). Just let me know :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
KM ships in a cardboard box. I just pull the hay out, take the plastic bag off, and dump it right back in the box. With a bunch of holes punched in it for air circulation, it works just fine.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Hi Kimberly! I typed out a long reply and then realized it was you :) Congratulations on finally getting a house!!!

I won't bug you again with telling you what I use, which is probably too big for you unless you're still interested in local bales. I found an even less expensive source right by my mom's house, and I go there weekly. I'd still be happy to meet halfway, or even near campus (any excuse to go to Mike's Place is a good one, ha!). Just let me know :)

I think they shut Mike's place down! Either that, or Ray's place, not sure exactly. I haven't had a chance to go to either, but hear good things. :)

I forgot about the local bales, I may email you in a few months when I'm getting low :)

The thing you use, I dont know where I would put it, already considered it...

And bpatters... I suppose something that simple would never cross my mind lol.

My mom is worried about "rats and bugs getting into the hay" (idk where she gets these things) so it's gotta be secure. The basement is not remotely finished, and is musty so will be for storage only. A mesh basket for in the room would be a good plan, although messy I'd guess?

aislynn99

Cavy Slave
I think they shut Mike's place down! Either that, or Ray's place, not sure exactly. I haven't had a chance to go to either, but hear good things. :)

I forgot about the local bales, I may email you in a few months when I'm getting low :)

I can't believe you live in Kent and have yet to go to Mike's Place! I assure you they are still in business. I was just there a week ago. Pretty sure it was Ray's that closed down.

The bales are a standing offer, so just let me know if/when you want to try one. I can get you second or third cutting timothy, or orchard grass.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.