Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Dark Red Dried Urine

eternalpnk

Cavy Slave
My female guinea pig is about 3 years and a half. I discovered red to dark red urine in her cage on the fleece one morning and took her into the vet. They thought she may have had a urinary infection and prescribed me medication for her. The red urine stopped showing up once she was on the medication, but after it was done, a few days later she was peeing red again. I took her back to the vet and they did some x-rays which showed no bladder stones or anything out of the ordinary, so I was prescribed the bladder infection medication again (stronger dosage). Again, no red urine in the cage during treatment and a few weeks afterwards, but now it has come back.

Has anyone ever had this issue before and does anyone know what is happening?

My vet found she was perfectly healthy except for the peeing blood. Her activity level is the same and she's still eating and drinking just fine.

1stMinnie

Cavy Slave
My female guinea pig is about 3 years and a half. I discovered red to dark red urine in her cage on the fleece one morning and took her into the vet. They thought she may have had a urinary infection and prescribed me medication for her. The red urine stopped showing up once she was on the medication, but after it was done, a few days later she was peeing red again. I took her back to the vet and they did some x-rays which showed no bladder stones or anything out of the ordinary, so I was prescribed the bladder infection medication again (stronger dosage). Again, no red urine in the cage during treatment and a few weeks afterwards, but now it has come back.

Has anyone ever had this issue before and does anyone know what is happening?

My vet found she was perfectly healthy except for the peeing blood. Her activity level is the same and she's still eating and drinking just fine.
A friend of mine said hers were peeing red from parsley. Stopped feeding parsley and it stopped. Long shot, but sharing in case.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've never heard of parsley turning urine red, but food certainly affect the color and odor of the urine.

Is the color red when the urine is fresh, or only after it's dried?

1stMinnie

Cavy Slave
I've never heard of parsley turning urine red, but food certainly affect the color and odor of the urine.

She said blood was everywhere and cage looked like a crime scene. They cut out the parsley a d never again. It gave them URI's.

1stMinnie

Cavy Slave
She said blood was everywhere and cage looked like a crime scene. They cut out the parsley a d never again. It gave them UTI's.

OOPS. UTI's!

eternalpnk

Cavy Slave

It's red when fresh and dark red when dried. The only veggies I feed them are romaine lettuce and green bell peppers. I do notice that whenever I do a complete cage change, there's dried red urine everywhere. They are housed on fleece and I use detergent, bleach, and distilled white vinegar to clean their fleece and get the smell out. I'm not sure if it comes from remarking her territory.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.