Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Pig chewing on bars ?making Plexi cage ? Help

• Thread starter Simpsonspiggie8
  • Start date

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
Hi guys my guinea pig, santas little helper, is a major bar chewer. She chews whenever I sit in my room and wakes me up in the morning at 5 or 6 every morning. I can't even sit in my room anymore. My cage is a 2x7 for 2 piggies so I don't think it's too small. I had 3 pieces of plexiglass at home so I put those where she chews the most but she still chews every other place .I was thinking of making a custom cage out of melamine and plexiglass the plexiglass around the front would be 10 inches high would that be enough circulation? My cage is an L shape and I can't stand the sound of bar chewing also is there anything else I can do besides plexiglass? I've even tried zip tying a chew toy to every front grid and it didn't work! Please help! Thanks image.jpg

this is before I put the plexiglass in the front

lissie

Cavy Slave
I was thinking of making a custom cage out of melamine and plexiglass the plexiglass around the front would be 10 inches high would that be enough circulation?

Yes. 10" should be fine for circulation, since your cage is large enough.

If it were only 2x3 or 2x4, I wouldn't recommend 10" (just in case other people are considering doing the same thing)

Paul Suangate

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig has been constantly chewing on the cage bars recently, it's driving me crazy! Is there any way to make her stop?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Plexiglass is your only hope.

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
My guinea pig has been constantly chewing on the cage bars recently, it's driving me crazy! Is there any way to make her stop?

I would take her to the vet, it could be mited. I hear when they chew on the cage something is wrong... Better to be safe than sorry. Good luck :)

lissie

Cavy Slave
You don't need to take guinea pigs to the vet for mites treatment. It can be done at home. If there are no other signs like hair loss or scratching, it's probably not mites.

Some pigs just like to chew on the bars to get attention.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
In all my years with guinea pigs, I've never heard of mites being a reason for bar chewing.

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
Hi guys! The 3 pieces of plexiglass in the front are helping a little bit and also I tied toilet paper tubes to another grid that she bites all the time and it seems to have helped! I also lowered my grids to only 9 inches just to make sure they can't jump over at that heigh image.jpgimage.jpg

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Hi guys! The 3 pieces of plexiglass in the front are helping a little bit and also I tied toilet paper tubes to another grid that she bites all the time and it seems to have helped! I also lowered my grids to only 9 inches just to make sure they can't jump over at that heigh View attachment 75828View attachment 75829

The toilet paper rolls are a good idea!!!! :)

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Another idea: what if you get coroplast to go all the way up the back walls of the cage where it is against your wall? Or even on the sides as well. Around me anyway, plexiglass is more expensive than coroplast. My cage has coroplast all the way up the walls because it is a wood cage, not grids, and I wanted to make sure any surface they were exposed to was easy to clean.

WP_20150806_006.jpg

Katie Vetter

Cavy Slave
I cut a slit down toilet paper tupes and cut them so they would fit in the squares. I wove them through the three squares above the coroplast, and the chewing stopped! Still plenty of air circulation, plenty affordable, and easy to do. It just took about an hour, but it was soooo worth it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.