Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bloated GI Stasis - Is there hope?

eternalpnk

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig Penny is almost five years old. Yesterday, I noticed she stopped eating, drinking, pooping, and peeing. She sat all day in one corner and did not move. So I took her to the vet this morning and, after some x-rays, diagnosed her with GI Stasis. Since she looked well over all (her teeth looked good, her eyes and ears were clean and clear) I decided to give her medication and force feed her until she can eat on her own. For old guinea pigs, can they recover from GI Stasis or should I have put her down?

The vet gave me three choices: medical management (force feeding and medication), surgery (anesthesia which can be risky for her age), or euthanasia.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd opt for the medical management.

eternalpnk

Cavy Slave
Yes. That's what I ultimately chose in the end. I hope all goes well.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I managed bloat and stasis quite a few times in my one girls senior years. She had her first big episode at 6 years old, which was the worst is ever was. Absolutely no eating, drinking, or pooping which all happened overnight. She just ballooned.

I got her under control with constant hand feeding, having her sit on a massaging mat and lots of meds. She was on metoclopramide, cisapride, metacam and simethicone. I believe we had meds for about 7 days.

From that point on she was very prone to bloating up so I kept the metoclopramide and cispride on hand to give as necessary.

eternalpnk

Cavy Slave
Penny passed away last night. I guess it really was her time to go, but at least she's with her cage mate now. Her cage mate had passed away about 4 months ago and they were together since they were a month old. Now I just have my other two guinea pigs left, which I had adopted to keep Penny from being lonely.

Thanks for your advice on the medical management bpatters and thanks for your story sallyvh. At least I know there's hope if it happens again with my other guinea pigs.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@eternalpnk, I am so, so sorry you've lost Penny. It's been a bad weekend.

She isn't in pain, or suffering any more. She has gone to the Rainbow Bridge to meet all of her new friends. I just know that my boys Sly, and Pooper, will be there to greet her and show her where to find the best grass and dandelions to munch.

Rest in peace, Penny.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you lost her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.