Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello! Meet Leslie & Ann

cookiesandcreme

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! Been lurking on this forum for a bit now pre- and post -adoption of my two guinea pigs, Leslie and Ann (yes, for you Parks & Rec fans, the reincarnate of the dynamic duo). Decided to take the plunge and join to delve deeper into the archives. I work from home with the girls as my work mates, so constantly reading up on guinea pigs.

Leslie and Ann were adopted March of this year and came as a bonded pair. Not a lot of information was given to me about them from Wee Companions, but they are 3 and 1 years old respectively. I have them currently in a 2x4 C&C cage bought through GPCS with a designated kitchen area. They toggle between living their lives on Etsy bought fleece/uhaul pads with a puppy pad underneath for extra protection and GuineaDad fleece liners. I don't have a sewing bone in my body, sadly.

They both love KMS Bluegrass with Oxbow Oatgrass for variety, home-grown small batch pet grass, a wide range of veggies, and their 1/2 to full tablet of Oxbow Vitamin C breakfast. However, I wasn't that impressed with KMS after my first order due to a high amount of brown grass and will be ordering from Sierra Valley next as they girls rejected SPS's orchard grass. Other than blueberries, they're not fans of fruit! 1/4 cup Oxbox Essentials pellets 4x a week between the two of them. Leslie has gotten bougie and requires filtered iced water in the mornings.

Leslie has been quite open to being handled and touched since she came to her forever home, but Ann is still skeptical. It's getting better though! I'm able to hand feed her (some tug of war depending on the day) and rub her nose when she's comfortable in her hidey-house.

Leslie the Fuzzy Potato, perpetual eater and cage boss - 1112g (39.22 oz):
Leslie.jpg

Ann the star runner and sometimes perpetual hider - 861g (30.37 oz):

IMG-2930.jpg

Hope to continue learning from everyone on this forum!

ChubbyMonroe

Cavy Slave
Aww they are gorgeous!

Janani.R.S

Cavy Slave
Adorable pigs you've got there! Tell Leslie that I said that he is a cute potato and tell Ann that I hide a lot too. You are not alone Ann!

cookiesandcreme

Cavy Slave
They are gorgeous. I'm such a sucker for the Shorthaired piggies.

How do you like your GuineaDad fleece liner? Do you find that it keeps your pigs from burrowing under the other liners? They are expensive but if they work it would be worth the money.

Like you, I can't sew at all. Etsy is my go to place for cage liners.

Thankfully, the two girls don't burrow so not sure if the following will help -

I really like it! I usually do a midweek 2x1 fleece change in conjunction to a full cage clean weekly. But I realize that they were using the built in pocket as more of their pee area, so I had to do a full fleece change instead of just a normal 2x1 fleece change (bought both a 2x1 and 2x3 GuineaDad liner) as it was looking kind of gross and moist (Ann would bring the Vitamin C tablets in there to eat and it left a lot of crumbs to mix with the pee...). I'm sure if you add extra potty pads in the area it may help prolong the liner to a full week. The 2x3 lasted about 5 days, the 2x1 three days.

Since there was room to spare with the pocket, I ended up binder clipping a small corner to their C&C cage and added two open ended tunnels to promote them going inside the pocket inside of on top of. So instead of them having to burrow themselves, they had essentially 5 entrances/exits (two tunnels, three "white space" areas). I'm sure you could add in weights into the corners to weigh the liner down?

The GuineaDad liner certainly helped with the housing territory issues that they were having and also was a lot cooler than the fabric covered beds that I was getting from Etsy. The girls don't cuddle so they ended up taking one corner of the liner each.

Oh - since you also go through Etsy - just a side note that GuineaDad liners require washing in cold water so not sure if you also wash your other liners with warm/hot water as it may be a hassle.

cookiesandcreme

Cavy Slave
No problem [MENTION=17564]Kelsie[/MENTION]! I feel like owning guinea pigs has been a cycle of trials and erros. And, thank you! I wish yours a long and happy life as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.