Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Biting Gloves piggies can't bite through?

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
What type of gloves have people used that are thick enough your piggy can't bite through them?

I posted a thread sort of about this a while ago, but didn't ask this specific question...We need something to wear while trimming my Robin Hood's nails.

He does fine with his front feet, but has decided with his back feet it's Not Going To Happen (if he has a say in it lol) He bites. Hard. (This is despite two people and a steady stream of veggies to chew on instead of us) So to make it more painless, we're looking for a good pair of gloves!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Leather work gloves.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I had a sow who had similar issues (would bit so hard i would be bleeding), I would wrap her up in a towel and only have the foot i was working on poking out. No more biting and she seemed a lot calmer.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I would wrap her up in a towel and only have the foot i was working on poking out. No more biting and she seemed a lot calmer.

Sure......that is what we call the "burrito method". Wrap the cavy securely--roll her up in a small hand towel and put her in your lap. I'm right-handed so the piggy is wrapped tightly lying against my abdomen with my left forearm restraining him. I usually start with the back nails because those are the most problematic and the ones they seem to hate being cut. Like @Soecara, I pull out one foot at a time and cut those nails and then move on to the other foot. The little rascals have quite strong back legs and will kick like crazy, so hold onto the foot quite firmly.

For the front nails, I then put the piggy with his back against my abdomen in a sitting/reclining position and pull one front paw out at a time. I find that almost any cavy is calmer with its head covered throughout this process. The front nails are easy to cut as compared with the back feet.

The trick to not cutting a nail too short is as follows: I use the small scissors that encircle the nail and put even pressure all the way around it. Squeeze down on the nail just a little bit and if the piggy doesn't yelp and cry, then fully squeeze the clippers and cut the nail. If it piggy yelps immediately, then you are cutting the nail too short. Readjust the clippers and repeat the same process. My cavies have black nails so this is sometimes the only way I can avoid cutting too short and causing pain. And BTW, I use the regular latex (nitrile) gloves and have never had one sink their teeth into a finger. I doubt that I could maneuver thicker gloves.

Nail scissors.jpg

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Thank you, everyone! I know I already sort of asked this once, and the additional responses are very helpful!

We might try the wrapped up in a towel burrito method. We're quite experienced with it for parrots; it's the 100% best way for them unless you have a very laid back bird :) I wasn't sure if it would have the same calming effect for piggies!

Robin Hood has bit through thin cotton type material, so I was looking for something thicker but of course still maneuverable. We'll have two people so one person simply needs to hold while the other trims. He does have black nails, which is a little tricky but we're used to it from other pets. Just figuring out the most painless, least "traumatic" route!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Just figuring out the most painless, least "traumatic" route!

I hate to tell you this, but there is no least traumatic route! :eek:hmy: Most all of them will scream and kick and swear that you are killing them! You simply can't be tentative with the process and you may have to use force to hold them still. The other benefit of covering their head throughout the process is that they can't be certain that it is you who is doing the deed.

Just be sure to allow for some cuddle time immediately after the process until they settle down. That's when they get a favorite treat!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to update, and say some nice thick work gloves worked like a charm! Thanks everybody! :D

We led him out with a carrot, our designated piggy holder picked him up and held him about the same as @spy9doc does, I trimmed, and it only took a couple minutes. No screaming, some kicking, and LOTS of rumbling once he was back in his cage feeling tough lol But he's already letting me pet him again!

Pic of the handsome little beastie just because: Screenshot_20200725-085820.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just wanted to update, and say some nice thick work gloves worked like a charm! Thanks everybody! :D

We led him out with a carrot, our designated piggy holder picked him up and held him about the same as @spy9doc does, I trimmed, and it only took a couple minutes. No screaming, some kicking, and LOTS of rumbling once he was back in his cage feeling tough lol But he's already letting me pet him again!

Pic of the handsome little beastie just because: View attachment 87224

Things become SO easy once a good way to do them is figured out!

He is definitely a handsome little man. Treats are in order!

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Aren't they little stinkers? I'm always amazed at the attitude these little critters have. He is such a cutie, but you can see he's got a mind of his own!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Things become SO easy once a good way to do them is figured out!

He is definitely a handsome little man. Treats are in order!

Yes and yes!!! I'm so happy we've found a great way to do it. He was paid for being a good boy ( only mildly nipping and kicking instead of an out and out battle lol ) with two baby carrots, a slice of bell pepper, and leaf of lettuce!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Aren't they little stinkers? I'm always amazed at the attitude these little critters have. He is such a cutie, but you can see he's got a mind of his own!

He sure does! He's so funny but also a little stinker...There's a reason he's named after an outlaw! But a good outlaw :love:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.