Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bloated Nunu's Medical Thread

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone,

I came home from work last night and I noticed one of my guinea pigs wasn't acting quite like himself. He didn't come greet me to the side of the cage but he's always a squirmy worm so I didn't think much of it.
2 days ago I found smaller light brown poops in his cage but he has a cage mate so I couldn't tell which one was passing the poops.
My husband gets up to go to work at 3 am ish so I decided to check on my guinea pigs and this particular pig wasn't coming out of his pigloo for pellets and that's when I knew something was wrong. I picked him up (with little resistance) and noticed the RIGHT side of his tummy was hard, he was passing string-connected poops, smaller poops that he usually passes and he wasn't too interested in eating. While I did get him to eat some hay (which they have unlimited 24/7) he didn't eat much. I rubbed his tummy and I already made an appointment for a vet at 11am this morning. I suspect he's bloated. So my question is, currently is 4.29am and I want to do whatever I can to help him while we wait for the appointment. What can I do? Should I run to the store and get some baby gas drops? I have metacam at home, would that help too?

Thanks in advance.
EDIT: Forgot to mention we recently (2 weeks ago) switched from KMS to Sherwood pellets and my other guinea pigs eat it, not as much as KMS but they do. Nunu wouldn't eat more than a couple pellets and I noticed he lost a little bit of weight. Now I don't know if he's been losing weight because of the pellets or because he's sick.

Last edited:

Nannub

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: 7.59am, I got gas drops and gave Nunu .15cc (simethicone 20mg) - And had him on a towel on top of a vibrating toothbrush. His tummy seems to have reduced size but he's still not being his usual self so I just gotta wait to see what the vet says.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
This is the update I did not want to write. Nunu has a tumor in his liver. A big, fat, ugly tumor...
Today, our vet was very honest with us and told us that the humane thing to do would be to say goodbye to our sweet Nunu.
We decided to take a few days to say goodbye, provide him with hospice care (Vet gave us some medication) and when he's ready to go, we'll help him cross the Rainbow Bridge.
Our hearts hurt so much, we were not expecting such terrible news. No need to say my husband and I are in pieces. We're trying to figure out a way to ease the pain of Nunu's brother, Rumble.
Thanks everyone...

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's so absolutely unfair that these sweet, adorable little balls of fur can contract illnesses like this.

I am so very sorry that you're faced with this, and that it will take your little Nunu from you. There are many, many people here who have gone through this, and so many who know how you feel about your pigs. It's the reason we're all here.

If you want to talk, any of us are just a message away. Godspeed, little Nunu.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
It's so absolutely unfair that these sweet, adorable little balls of fur can contract illnesses like this.

I am so very sorry that you're faced with this, and that it will take your little Nunu from you. There are many, many people here who have gone through this, and so many who know how you feel about your pigs. It's the reason we're all here.

If you want to talk, any of us are just a message away. Godspeed, little Nunu.

Thank you so much. He's getting more cuddles than ever, lots and lots of love and treats. We're devastated. It's so hard to say goodbye.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thank you so much. He's getting more cuddles than ever, lots and lots of love and treats. We're devastated. It's so hard to say goodbye.

That's all you can do. It's impossible to say goodbye, but there comes a time when we have to. I won't say I know how you feel, because obviously I can't. Everyone is different, every pig is different and every situation is different.

That said, most of us here have lost pigs at some point or other, some suddenly and without warning like my Pooper, and others to illness and having to make the hardest of choices. I do not envy you the choice you've had to make, but I know it's the right one. I myself would do the same if faced with what you and your husband are.

You are showing Nunu the utmost in love and kindness, by not letting him suffer on because you can't bear to let him go.

Myself, and my small herd, are sending you as much strength and positive energy as we can, as you go through this difficult ordeal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.